BC guys .. Collector Plates

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
Hey, BC guys, who has ICBC Collector Plates on their vehicles?

I want to put them on my '70 Dart, but I'm not sure which category it fits under. Collector Vehicle or Modified Collector Vehicle?

I ask if Modified, because regular Collector has limitations, such as: Engine Compartment - My engine is stock for the model and year of the vehicle. There are no performance enhancements. It is clean, and all permitted engine "dress-up" is era correct.

Well, I have headers, a high rise Edelbrock Air Gap intake, a Holley Street Avenger 670 cfm carb, a Champion 3 core aluminum radiator, an external tranny cooler, etc. Do those count as performance enhancements?

It says in the Approved Parts and Accessories List:

Exhaust - You can upgrade cast iron to steel ceramic coated headers (I have ceramic coated Doug's headers)

Engine Compartment - You can add era correct engine dress up kit and valve covers (I have M/T valve covers to clear the rockers)

Interior - You can install aftermarket temperature, oil pressure and voltage gauges (I have those)
You can install an era correct aftermarket tach, e.g. no oversized tach with lights (I have a small one)

The one that catches my attention is in the Fuel section:

Fuel - You can change your intake manifold (must not be a high rise)
You can change your carburetor (must be same size as originally equipped or provided as a factory option for that model and year)

Like I said, I have an Edelbrock Air Gap high rise, and a Holley 670 Street Avenger.

I know this all sounds like Modified Collector status, however cutoff for Modified says 1958 and older.

Thoughts?

they are working on a modified collector plate right now. saw some stuff on it. its going to be pre-74

Mike...I've got just the regular collector plates as my Dart is 99% stock. I think the modified plate is geared mostly for the hot-rod guys....my bro-in-law has mod collectors on his '27 T sedan.

I was told my my insurance agent, for true collector plates, the car has to be 100% stock. I took a total of 10 photos, (interior -dash, carpet-seats) engine compartment, left and right side of the car, front and rear etc.
My agent also told me that it could get sticky if I modified the car after I got the collector plate and I got into an accident.. Even something as simple as upgrading the radio(visable). You're also restricted as to driving the car back and forth to work or schol. Check with Ikybky or your agent for all the details. Will admit, it's nice to have insurance on the Challenger with out breaking the bank every year.

I've have collectors plates on my car as you see it and have for years.
I was approved by ICBC no problem,cant see why you would have a problem, as long as meets basic criteria ,with period correct parts your fine.

Attachments

• DSCN0073.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 434
  • DSCN0096.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 449
period correct is the key they are a lot more forgiving now as you can see by them allowing headers , they will not allow any thing that involves cutting the car such as fender well headers or aftermarket stereo, they even allow frame connectors as they are a safety upgrade such as adding seatbelts when the car wasn't shipped with them , I have an air gap and they didn't say anything when I sent them the pics , the most important thing is to take lots of pics and keep a record of exactly what you tell them in your application , the tricky one is the "agreed upon valuer policy " . remember under your collector policy { and it is the policy not the plates that dictate use not the plates} they see your car as being an old car with the depreciation associated with it's age even tho you have full coverage under a collectors policy they see your write off number as being very low , you need to get the seperate "agreed upon value policy" for like 8 bucks a year per thousand claimed in value, they will run you through the process all over again and will deny your claim if the car isn't exactly what you said it was when you bought the policy .

PS.. you will also need a third party appraisal to get the "Agreed upon Value " policy if you claim the value to be 40k or greater which is why there is a ton of 39k cars in BC eh if you get my drift .

I received a letter in the mail that ICBC is cancelling their
"agreed value policies".

You can still have collector plates but will have to look at an outside source
for the extra coverage.

I chose Haggerty for my additional coverage.

Modified collector plates are for 1958 and older. I buy my basic coverage threw ICBC and additional threw Haggerty. Never had a claim yet.

You have to have your basic insurance through ICBC. They have a monopoly on insurance in BC.

I'll be coming over in the next couple of weeks. Just waiting for them to move camp and get more wood on the ground. I will PM you when I find out.

That sounds like a big win if ICBC cancels their" Agreed upon Value " policies because it means they won't be able to cross reference the two , I was keeping my stroker motor off the record because I didn't want them to say it was an improper mod for my collector plates , what does Haggerty charge for their policies ?

I used to have Silver Wheels(here in Ontario).2 years ago Haggerty took over Silver Wheels.In my policy I had stated I wanted the A19 policy(agreed appraisal value).My insurance is $268 for both my cars(1973 Dart Sport 340,1968 Barracuda).I can,t drive either of them to work(need a secondary insured vehicle) and need to be garage kept,but can drive basically anywhere/anytime.

Oh,I also have personalized plates on both.:-D

I used to have Silver Wheels(here in Ontario).2 years ago Haggerty took over Silver Wheels.In my policy I had stated I wanted the A19 policy(agreed appraisal value).My insurance is $268 for both my cars(1973 Dart Sport 340,1968 Barracuda).I can,t drive either of them to work(need a secondary insured vehicle) and need to be garage kept,but can drive basically anywhere/anytime.

Oh,I also have personalized plates on both.:-D
Did you have to obtain a third party appraisal and how much are they covering each car for ?

Well, just to bump this thread, I received approval for the plates in the mail yesterday. Had to wait about 3 months but I'm a happy man. Woo hoo cheap insurance!

Did you have to obtain a third party appraisal and how much are they covering each car for ?

I have Hagerty insurance too on my Mustang and my Dart.
When I first got the Mustang insured about 4 years ago I had to get an appraisal but when the Dart was added two years ago I did not have to get an appraisal and we had an agreed value of $15K for the Dart. All they wanted was detailed pictures.
The Mustang was originally appraised for $13.5K.

-
Back