Bed Liner Engine Bay

-

Steckler108

Reaction score
Does anybody know of anyone using a product like rhino liner to paint their engine bays, and if so any pictures?

heat makes bedliner spray turn loose,if you dont believe me,try some on a test panel,and sit it on a fenderwell beside your headers or manifolds

Yeah, it doesn't take heat very well......it's the nature of the beast........

The dart in that link has separate panels that he added on to hide all the normal "stuff".....but I'll bet he still has some problems.

Just about anything that uses rubber or asphalt additives like that will react to the heat and lose their adhesion. If you want something that will endure the bay's environment, and you're wanting a textured look to boot, try RustOleum Hammered finish over a properly prepared surface, and follow it up with some semi-gloss black to dull it a bit (it dries kinda shiny....but you may like it).

The stuff is tough paint, and won't come off in the heat...takes a real beatin'.

.......BUT, of course, I'll get in trouble with some guys here for even suggesting such blasphemy............But if you can't afford a full color job, sometimes you have to do the next best thing available. 8)

Yeah, it doesn't take heat very well......it's the nature of the beast........

The dart in that link has separate panels that he added on to hide all the normal "stuff".....but I'll bet he still has some problems.

Just about anything that uses rubber or asphalt additives like that will react to the heat and lose their adhesion. If you want something that will endure the bay's environment, and you're wanting a textured look to boot, try RustOleum Hammered finish over a properly prepared surface, and follow it up with some semi-gloss black to dull it a bit (it dries kinda shiny....but you may like it).

The stuff is tough paint, and won't come off in the heat...takes a real beatin'.

.......BUT, of course, I'll get in trouble with some guys here for even suggesting such blasphemy............But if you can't afford a full color job, sometimes you have to do the next best thing available. 8)
I have it body color tinted on my Coronet. I did it because I thought that it would be more durable for my street car. This stuff is practically indestructible, but watch out for hot coolant!

engine+bay+4.jpg

The PO of my '69 Dart sprayed the engine compartment with a rubberized coating like you can dip tools in - he thought it would be a great idea. Now I get to get it off so I can paint the engine compartment body color like Ma Mopar intended.
Don't do it with truck bed liner.
I'm not a purist and I'm not doing a stock resto, but some things just need to be done the 'right' way IMHO.

Do what you want. It's your car. But should the time come when you want to sell, don't ***** because no one wants to give you a plug nickle for it like that.

Case in point. I may have the chance to acquire my bro's 70 340 Swinger. For whatever reason, he shot the inside of the trunk with undercote.

yeah. I want to deal with THAT ****

Gotta agree with that.......If you use undercoat, use it "under".........and anything in the engine bay should be a paint that's able to be sanded, primed and repainted without "pulling"......in other words, no cheap enamels.......they don't react well to overcoating, especially with modern solvents.

Thanks for all the information. Looks like i will be painting along with the rest of the body. Just looking for an easy durable application. As always, the easiest way to do it..... is the right way.

-
Back