Bed...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Went mattress shopping today. Talk about confusing. With my back as bad as it has gotten.....and continuing to get worse the Boss and I are leaning towards a Tempurpedic. Problem is am having with it is the $ end of it. Have 0% financing available.

Isn't that the high end memory foam one? If it is, we have one of those. Only one complaint we have is it takes about twice the energy to turn over on the mattress. lol

Isn't that the high end memory foam one? If it is, we have one of those. Only one complaint we have is it takes about twice the energy to turn over on the mattress. lol
Yes it is. We are thinking about getting the motorized foundation...
Tempur-Pedic Mobile 2016
Elevating my feet really helps with my back. I have always slept on my left side, surgeon that cut my shoulder open suggested that I don't sleep with my arm tucked under the pillow like I do. Have slept with my legs up on a body pillow right after surgery...really helped my back. Hoping that with my feet up I can stop sleeping on my side.

I wish that I still had my old water bed....
I said the same thing today.

Legs up helps with a lot of things, not the least of which is circulation.

I started a mattress thread a while ago. I ended up buying the Costco memory foam queen size as that is what our sheets already fit. It is working great, but they have better ones now that are not so dang hot. they have cooling tubes in the top layer of foam to reduce the body heat. I have carpal so I sleep with a bowling brace on my right wrist and fall fast asleep on my belly with left hand under pillow (wait, its that a pillow?) and right hand straight down side.

I am reminded of the Flintstones episode where Fred is being kept awake somehow and keeps muttering "BED!, bed!,Bed!"

I started a mattress thread a while ago. I ended up buying the Costco memory foam queen size as that is what our sheets already fit. It is working great, but they have better ones now that are not so dang hot. they have cooling tubes in the top layer of foam to reduce the body heat. I have carpal so I sleep with a bowling brace on my right wrist and fall fast asleep on my belly with left hand under pillow (wait, its that a pillow?) and right hand straight down side.
The one we are looking at has some sort of ever cool technology. Supposed to help keep you cool all night. With the wife having some serious hot flashes this may help her out. Some mornings she wakes up drenched.

We often see advertisements claiming that you should replace your conventional mattress after 8 years. Ernestina thinks we got this mattress in 2000....

That foam hasn't helped my memory at all.
We've replaced the foam pad on top of our Kingsdown mattress a few times. First memory foam pad was from tv ad, mail order, 2 inch, buy on get one free. Both applied making 4 inches. Later replacements came from K-Mart, then Walmart, single 3 inch pad. We too sink a little making it more difficult to roll over.
My all time favorite is the Simmons Beauty Rest in our guess room. It's more than 8 years old too but very low millage.
Wife has been employed at Park Place Mattress a few years now so if/when we do buy another....
Most recent Rooms To Go ad states 8 year financing. Paid off when time to buy another. Forever In Blue Jeans.

Memory foam - hated it. Hurt my back and - bigger problem - no rebound (it was like doing push-ups the whole time...if you follow my drift)

A good mattress with one of those memory foam toppers (about 3" thick) is a better solution, IMHO.

Memory foam - hated it. Hurt my back and - bigger problem - no rebound (it was like doing push-ups the whole time...if you follow my drift)

A good mattress with one of those memory foam toppers (about 3" thick) is a better solution, IMHO.
This is indeed one of my concerns. We have 100 days to try it out so if this is a problem it will be going back...

Had a friend who tried all the memory foam mattresses and swears by the Tempurpedic brand...He says there is no comparison in his book. Me..I have tried everything and after a while they all seem to go back to being uncomfortable. Because of my fat gut I can't sleep on my back cause I can't breath. I will be interested on how it turns out for you. It sucks when you can't sleep cause your back hurts. Can't remember a day in many years where I woke up and didn't feel like I been run over by a truck in my sleep. Like you the $$ on the Tempurpedic makes you pucker but what's it worth to have a good nights sleep ?

Matress we purchased in 1995 is still hard as a rock, but I've never had back problems except for some overstress incidents.
We found a place that still made them on-site, and had it and the springs covered in the old-style white and blue cotton ticking.

We've been pretty happy with the Select Comfort with motorized base.

Had a friend who tried all the memory foam mattresses and swears by the Tempurpedic brand...He says there is no comparison in his book. Me..I have tried everything and after a while they all seem to go back to being uncomfortable. Because of my fat gut I can't sleep on my back cause I can't breath. I will be interested on how it turns out for you. It sucks when you can't sleep cause your back hurts. Can't remember a day in many years where I woke up and didn't feel like I been run over by a truck in my sleep. Like you the $$ on the Tempurpedic makes you pucker but what's it worth to have a good nights sleep ?
If anyone would have told me I was going to be spending as much as I just did on a bed 30 years ago I would have told them to stop chugging the bong water. Payment will be $97@month for 6 years. If it even helps in the slightest way it will be worth it. My back has gotten drastically worse in the past 6 months. Used to be I would have sciatica pain once a month...now it is pretty much a constant every day. Costco to home is 34 miles, about 50 minutes. Damn near in tears when we get home. Used to be I could fart around the garage, at a leisurely pace, for 3-4 hours before having to take a break. Now I am lucky if I can make it 30 minutes....no more sitting for a few minutes...takes a good 30 minutes before I can get moving again. By this time I hurt so much I can't concentrate at all. Getting old ain't for the faint of heart...

If anyone would have told me I was going to be spending as much as I just did on a bed 30 years ago I would have told them to stop chugging the bong water. Payment will be $97@month for 6 years. If it even helps in the slightest way it will be worth it. My back has gotten drastically worse in the past 6 months. Used to be I would have sciatica pain once a month...now it is pretty much a constant every day. Costco to home is 34 miles, about 50 minutes. Damn near in tears when we get home. Used to be I could fart around the garage, at a leisurely pace, for 3-4 hours before having to take a break. Now I am lucky if I can make it 30 minutes....no more sitting for a few minutes...takes a good 30 minutes before I can get moving again. By this time I hurt so much I can't concentrate at all. Getting old ain't for the faint of heart...
*cough - gag*... did - did - did you just tell us you spent nearly 7 grand on a bed!!!? Holy FU.........K!!

I feel for ya..Mine isn't quite that bad but makes life miserable at times..Hope the mattress helps you.

Gurgle now thinks I'm interested in new beds! Lotsa popups from bed-mongers!
Hilarious.

*cough - gag*... did - did - did you just tell us you spent nearly 7 grand on a bed!!!? Holy FU.........K!!
No Sir...I said I was spending $97@month for 6 years...you did the math and put a bottom line on it...:rofl:

Most days my back is hurts enough that I can not stand up straight my 3 in the afternoon. It has gotten to the point that I spend more time sitting in the garage or here in the house than I do outside being productive...Most nights I am lucky to sleep a total of 3-4 hours in 40 minute blocks. While back I had a bone spur removed from my shoulder. Both the doc and the therapist I saw told me that I need to stop sleeping with my shoulder opened up. I lay on my side, with my arm extended over my head. Have slept like this for years...thanks to my shoulder hurting. Only way I can sleep on my back is with my feet elevated. Have tried using pillows to prop up my legs...but find it very difficult to sleep under any blankets this way, pillow & blankets get tangled together...feels like someone is trying to drag me around by my feet..
Truth of the matter is this lack of sleep is starting to effect me in more ways than I care to admit. Suicidal thoughts are happening more frequently....something needs to give here...:BangHead:

We bought a Tempurpedic about 8 years ago. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I never slept better. I litterally fall asleep in minutes. My wife, on the other hand, thinks it is too hard. I think that may be a man/women thing. A great thing is when one person gets up at night, the other oftentimes won't wake up since the mattress doesn't move. Yeah, they are expensive...we paid around 5K for ours but used the 5 years no interest plan.

I'd like to upgrade to another Tempurpedic, but we'll probably go with a Select Comfort bed the next time. Then we can set each side to our liking.

Try the Tempurpedic for the 100 days they give you and take it back if it doesn't work. Let us know how it goes!

No Sir...I said I was spending $97@month for 6 years...you did the math and put a bottom line on it...:rofl:

Most days my back is hurts enough that I can not stand up straight my 3 in the afternoon. It has gotten to the point that I spend more time sitting in the garage or here in the house than I do outside being productive...Most nights I am lucky to sleep a total of 3-4 hours in 40 minute blocks. While back I had a bone spur removed from my shoulder. Both the doc and the therapist I saw told me that I need to stop sleeping with my shoulder opened up. I lay on my side, with my arm extended over my head. Have slept like this for years...thanks to my shoulder hurting. Only way I can sleep on my back is with my feet elevated. Have tried using pillows to prop up my legs...but find it very difficult to sleep under any blankets this way, pillow & blankets get tangled together...feels like someone is trying to drag me around by my feet..
Truth of the matter is this lack of sleep is starting to effect me in more ways than I care to admit. Suicidal thoughts are happening more frequently....something needs to give here...:BangHead:
well brother - I hope this works for ya!!!!

Damn!
Guess I need to be givin' thanks for the simple things. I can sleep on the ground, on the floor, in the car, and not be uncomfortable.
Only thing givin out is the eyes, I have a buncha readin glasses spread all over like Fed Sanford, and do the big ol arm wavin adjustment thing for a couple seconds.
Ears just seem to keep gettin more sensitive, I gotta use ear plugs so things don't seem so loud.
Guess that's what I get for using ear plugs at work since 1980.

This is indeed one of my concerns. We have 100 days to try it out so if this is a problem it will be going back...
Read the fine print about returning in original packaging, etc. Plus, they haul your old bed away for you, so if you send it back, you're on the floor... ;-)

-
Back