Been off the forum a while but have questions

-

Inspector71

Reaction score
I can't say when I will get to it, but I have a 66 Valiant convertible, red, I bought in California and brought back to Missouri. It has a 225 slant six. the car is a 3 on the tree which I want to keep. Considering it is a 3 speed, what type of mods will I need to make to the engine to get the most power using such a set up? Would anyone have any idea what type of gear ratio it has? The body is good, top gone but frame good, and it does not need quarters, trunk or much work at all. Its in as good of shape as the 68 Barracuda I brought back as well.

Need to know more about intended use of vehicle. Can get more power out of a /6 than the standard transmission can handle. Problem is, with lots more power comes reduced drivability.

Suggest SBP disk brakes and a Super Six set up and call it a day.

Definitely change to electronic ignition, unless you like reaching down in to the dark grub zone to try and adjust points. I am rigging a GM HEI module and GM "external" coil on my slant, maybe $40 in parts (new E-distributor, junkyard GM parts). Will post when done. There are other posts on the 4-wire GM module. I want to try fuel injection in the future. If you want real power, consider a turbo. Several posts on that.

How to calculate rear end ratios:
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36418

For now give it a good tune up, valve lash adjustment, repack wheel bearings, and check brake system for stuck and leaking parts. After you drive the car for a while, and everything is working well, then think about some performance changes.

Super 6 intake and carb, cheap because you have a manual and the S/S kickdown is as much as the carb/intake! That and a new headpipe off the manifold. Get one that is 2.25-2.5, ditch that 1 3/4 choker...

Good advice all. I will get it running first and go from there. Intended use is a driver but with a little more get up and go. I want to keep the slant six and three on a tree. Again, thanks for taking the time to offer valuable advice.

-
Back