Been out of the loop for 2-3 years anything new?

-

DartSport340

Reaction score
Just doing a little research for a project in the future(aka probably not this year but next years) When I became "uninterested" in cars for 2-3 years here I was looking at the things id like to do to the dart to make it better/right. the things I came up with were

1. Headliner
2. Intake and Carb
3. Exhaust
4. rear end
5. Tranny(plus converter) rebuild

Im tackling the Headliner and intake/carb issue this year and probably the exhaust next year(unless something else comes up in the meantime)

As this is in the exhaust section I will ask this: In the last 2-3 years has any new headers become available that will work well(not hang too low or get bashed to death) on a 1973 Dart Sport 340/727 console shift Power Steering and brake model??

When I left for the 2-3 years all that was available that actually fit WELL at that time were TTI's and the Dougs headers....IMO they are just simply too expensive..I plan to be able to do my entire exhaust for less or what a set of Dougs or TTI's cost alone so they are out(unless I got a killer deal on used ones). so is anything else out there that works or am i gonna need to just go back to manifolds?

Right now I believe the headers that are on the Dart Sport 340 are the Headman ones that fit but they just simply hang to low and the bottom of them are all bashed to heck...I wont use them again . I have 1 side of 340 1973 manifolds and cant remember which they are as they are back in NY at the in-laws house lol. so id need at least a left or right(the other side cracked taking them off). Id just get the log type or 1973 type as the car is mostly stock and(forgive me but this is a pet peeve and just irritates me) on a mostly stock type engine there is little to no difference between the vaunted 1970 era HP manifolds and the 1973 era manifolds..I think in the MM shootout the 340 HP 1970 manifolds made a whopping 2 HP more than the later log style manifolds on a 300-325 HP engine...so not worth a "premium" IMO for the HP's from 1970..

so let me know if there is anything out there now thats come out or what I should start looking for "deal" wise for this project even though its down the road a bit.

Well hedman tight tube headers slide right in , and so far have not hit bottom with ppes , they are about 1/2" lower than transmission pan , if that . The mechanics at the garage said if the pipes hit they are the least of my problems .
Here ia a link to pics of how they fit http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1437563&postcount=121
Have to say car runs great , sounds great and header install was EASY ! Uncoated tight tubes are not expensive so it might be a good choice for you .

Well hedman tight tube headers slide right in , and so far have not hit bottom with ppes , they are about 1/2" lower than transmission pan , if that . The mechanics at the garage said if the pipes hit they are the least of my problems .
Here ia a link to pics of how they fit http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1437563&postcount=121
Have to say car runs great , sounds great and header install was EASY ! Uncoated tight tubes are not expensive so it might be a good choice for you .

sounds good id rather have something like that. How easy was it..I only know of one guy around here that actually does "custom" bending and to be honest im not sure if he isnt semi retired...other than that all i got is Midas and Monroe :)

Headers dropped in 25 minutes , cutting , welding and mandrel bends took a long time , lots of trial and error , they had no pictures of other installs for guidance , that would have helped .
Any good muffler shop should be able to do the job , might not be mandrel bends , but not a big deal . The shop I was at lives and breaths ultimate flow and looks so it took a long time , everything had to be perfect .
If you bring pics of my system it should give the shop a good idea of hoe to bend and fit the pipes , should take considerably less time .
Good luck with whatever you choose to do

Headers dropped in 25 minutes , cutting , welding and mandrel bends took a long time , lots of trial and error , they had no pictures of other installs for guidance , that would have helped .
Any good muffler shop should be able to do the job , might not be mandrel bends , but not a big deal . The shop I was at lives and breaths ultimate flow and looks so it took a long time , everything had to be perfect .
If you bring pics of my system it should give the shop a good idea of hoe to bend and fit the pipes , should take considerably less time .
Good luck with whatever you choose to do
thats exactly what I plan on doing...can you think of any difference in our cars that would "mess things up" mine is a 340/727/console auto shift/PS/PB I dont think I have the small starter yet(never checked lol) that would be the only difference I can think. For some reason IF I cant find a place to do the exhaust I will just go with the manifolds..on a stock type or just slightly above stock build i dont think a lot of difference im guessing 15 HP or so from that MM exhaust shootout they did difference between stock manifolds and shorty headers on a engine thats mostly stock that is what I mean. Im guessing im 8.2-8.5 in the comp ratio and the cam is the smaller(stock type profile) summit cams grind. and those lousy low hanging headman road basher headers :)

Just doing a little research for a project in the future(aka probably not this year but next years) When I became "uninterested" in cars for 2-3 years here I was looking at the things id like to do to the dart to make it better/right. the things I came up with were

1. Headliner
2. Intake and Carb
3. Exhaust
4. rear end
5. Tranny(plus converter) rebuild

Im tackling the Headliner and intake/carb issue this year and probably the exhaust next year(unless something else comes up in the meantime)

As this is in the exhaust section I will ask this: In the last 2-3 years has any new headers become available that will work well(not hang too low or get bashed to death) on a 1973 Dart Sport 340/727 console shift Power Steering and brake model??

When I left for the 2-3 years all that was available that actually fit WELL at that time were TTI's and the Dougs headers....IMO they are just simply too expensive..I plan to be able to do my entire exhaust for less or what a set of Dougs or TTI's cost alone so they are out(unless I got a killer deal on used ones). so is anything else out there that works or am i gonna need to just go back to manifolds?

Right now I believe the headers that are on the Dart Sport 340 are the Headman ones that fit but they just simply hang to low and the bottom of them are all bashed to heck...I wont use them again . I have 1 side of 340 1973 manifolds and cant remember which they are as they are back in NY at the in-laws house lol. so id need at least a left or right(the other side cracked taking them off). Id just get the log type or 1973 type as the car is mostly stock and(forgive me but this is a pet peeve and just irritates me) on a mostly stock type engine there is little to no difference between the vaunted 1970 era HP manifolds and the 1973 era manifolds..I think in the MM shootout the 340 HP 1970 manifolds made a whopping 2 HP more than the later log style manifolds on a 300-325 HP engine...so not worth a "premium" IMO for the HP's from 1970..

so let me know if there is anything out there now thats come out or what I should start looking for "deal" wise for this project even though its down the road a bit.
Time for a pill.

I have the exact same setup as you , 1970 auto 340/727 console /PS/PB and the stock large starter , no need for the mini starter .We had a mini starter just in case , but thee was no need for it so I saved a few $$ . Really the dif between headers and manifolds is not that much on a stock or mild build .
I had a set of hooker stainles steel headers and the pipes were pancaked , could not get down my driveway without hitting at least 4 times , and that was going super slow , under 3 mph . Have not hit my new pipes yet .
The reason I went with Tight tube hedmans is I could not find manifolds in good shape for a decent price .
Good luck , whatever the choice , enjoy the car .

I have the exact same setup as you , 1970 auto 340/727 console /PS/PB and the stock large starter , no need for the mini starter .We had a mini starter just in case , but thee was no need for it so I saved a few $$ . Really the dif between headers and manifolds is not that much on a stock or mild build .
I had a set of hooker stainles steel headers and the pipes were pancaked , could not get down my driveway without hitting at least 4 times , and that was going super slow , under 3 mph . Have not hit my new pipes yet .
The reason I went with Tight tube hedmans is I could not find manifolds in good shape for a decent price .
Good luck , whatever the choice , enjoy the car .

Ive got 1/2 a set of manifolds..I cant even remember which side is good to be honest they are in the basement at the In-laws house...dont remember if its drivers or Pass side..it would be the stock 1973 340 exhaust manifold the other side cracked on the way off the car to put in headers...so id also need to find at least one side....

-
Back