Before and after pics

-

4flats

Reaction score
I was overwhelmed by the kind welcome I got on the Welcome Wagon Page! Here (hopefully) are some pics of my 72 dart from around 1985 in her "glory days" and some more of how she looks now after 20+ years in the woods covered in leaves and straw.

My dad bought her new in 1971 for my mom to drive to school (no joke, she was a little "old" school teacher). I turned 15 in '84 and got the well-worn 120k mile dart. It took most of the next year to get her road-worthy again. I drove through high school and did all the bone-head mods that a teenager does including a non-functional chrome cage, cheap stereo with way too many 6x9s, air shocks etc. After an unfortunate high-speed mating with a pick-up truck, I found a '71 donar and replaced all the sheetmetal from the b-pillar forward and shot her in primer. I took her to college for a couple of years and parked her in favor of something that got better gas millage. I came home from school one day, tried to crank her and something caught fire. I put the fire out before any real damage was done, but never found time to diagnose. My dad drug her "out of the way" where she sat for the last couple of decades. Fast forward to a wife, 3 kids and a job. Everything was great until I stumbled across FABO and got the fever again.

dart.jpg

dart int.jpg

DSC04093.jpg

DSC04094.jpg

Great pics. After hearing the story of Elmo's full life with your family, it doesn't bother me seeing him there in his leafy resting spot. However it would be great new chapter to see him back on the road....is that your plan?

cool story, looked good back in the day, all things considered doesn't really look that bad now. You thinkin on doing a little resto on her?

I'm currently looking for a running victim... I mean parts car to transplant life back into her. Elmo didn't seem like such a bad nickname when I was playing high school football but now? Also, it's a state law that everyone in Alabama live at least 3 years of their life in a mobile home, glad I got it out of the way early. I'm also glad they finally repealed the mullet law.

flats, good luck on your new project. The body looks straight so good starting point. Whats it look like underneath? Good luck and now get started will ya?

I'm really looking forward to taking my kids for a ride in her, and maybe passing her down to one of them (3 girls). It will have to be dependable.Old trucks are everywhere down here and the 2wd versions are dirt cheap. I'll need the complete drivedrain (maybe not the rear end- fingers crossed) and brakes with BBP to use the rallys I have, so a running complete vehicle is a must. I had a ramcharger with a 360/727, shouldn't have let it go. Is the 360 any more difficult to swap than a 340 or 318? She currently has a /6 3-speed, but they are roached.
I'm kind of leaning towards a vintage race look (trans-am race), but nothing so radical I get a ticket every time I roll through town. I love the AAR 'cudas and always wished they had campaigned a dart.

Buy a whole post 73 parts truck, you can find one easily thats running around me or you. for under 1500$ too! mostly 318/slant trucks, the 318 ones being more expensive. but atleast it would help it get on the road alot faster and you could part out the body panels and make something back too by selling whatcha dont need. And from what Ive heard the 360 fits almost exactly like a 340, but i could be wrong. Im 70% sure it does though

Oh, and really super glad to see that car, and im glad to see it looks that good after what u described! Thats an amazing starting point. I really didnt expect to see it looking that good! Thats an awesome job you did!

Nice to see the pics. I think you're well on your way. You're motivated, you got plans, you got fresh starting point pictures.. heck, the hard parts done :)

Grant

If your interior still looks the same, send it to me, too kool.

... Also, it's a state law that everyone in Alabama live at least 3 years of their life in a mobile home, glad I got it out of the way early. I'm also glad they finally repealed the mullet law.

Too funny!!! You're fitting in marvelously. :love7:

I think there's a mullet thread on here somewhere.

Matthon - I'll keep you in mind for that interior. My wife wants me to keep it and go with a '70s street theme, I'm kind of leaning toward vintage track (twisty, not drag). If I stick to my guns, I'll have low-back buckets and a stock back seat (for the kids) and really plain, maybe painted pressboard or Sheet aluminum panels... wait, come to think of it, I havent gotten my way since I got married, heck, I'm lucky she lets me play with old cars - and dang thankful.

This is a great thread starting I'm jazzed and great story so far and great vision you have can't wait when your not doing anything Take pics we like PICS lol. GOOD LUCK!!!

-
Back