bellhousing swap

-

furydan

not so junior member
Reaction score
I wondered....My clutch is the factory sized clutch and now that my motor is all strong and stuff, it sure does slip a lot, especially when try to do a burnout....
So in order to get a stronger clutch, do I need to change the bellhousing and what would be involved as far as z-bar and linkage and stuff. Does the floor pan need to be altered. I have a 65 Barrcuda with a built 318 and a 4 speed transmission.
Is there a particular car that could be a donor for the required equipment?

another question would be..
Is there a stock sized clutch for a 65 barracuda that is stonger without the need to go to a bigger diameter..i.e...stonger springs and stock sized disc to apply more pressure..

I had a stronger clutch built at Fort Wayne Clutch. check if there is a clutch rebuilder in Cinci. lots cheaper than swapping everything else out.

I had a stronger clutch built at Fort Wayne Clutch. check if there is a clutch rebuilder in Cinci. lots cheaper than swapping everything else out.

really never thought about having one rebuilt..I just figured you always bought new clutches..Kinda like brakes pads and shoes

I've had clutches built with poor results (big block stuff) with a local rebuilder. When I owned LilCuda's car (66 Barracuda) I put a 70s aluminum bell in with the 130-tooth flywheel so that I could run a 10.5" clutch. The problem I ran into was the linkage (I was young without much knowledge at the time) and it was a bit of a mess. I wound up making some other changes to it, but never got it right. Lee made it better the first time he tore into it.

To use the bigger bell housing you will need to pound the tunnel/firewall seam flat and shorten the clutch Z bar. Brewer's has everything you will need for the swap except the BFH.....

I did not have to pound the seam. I don't know how close it was, but it cleared on the 66.

There is a company called spec that has what you need. They make 9 1/2" clutches for high performance use. Made in USA too.

The first thing I would try is the 10 in scallopped clutch from Brewers Performance. Call them they have what you want. I swapped a 340 clutch, bellhousing and all into a 64 Barracuda years ago, to run a big block 10.95 scalloped clutch behind my 273. I did not have to beat on the car with a hammer. Brewers Performance has this system down pat also, if you want to go this way.

There is a company called spec that has what you need. They make 9 1/2" clutches for high performance use. Made in USA too.

Holy crap. I have been trying to find a performance clutch for my 64 for months without having to swap the bellhousing. Just checked Spec's website, they have a whole line in 10" clutches that are meant for the small bellhousing cars. Anybody use one? They are all on ebay for cheaper prices also.

Thanks man!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Plymouth/Barracuda_Cuda__Roadrunner/1965/Single

-
Back