Belt frying?

-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
I have so far fried 3 belts on my truck and I know the pulleys are in line. Would a belt that is too big jump off or fry up? I have my alternate adjusted all the way out to even snug the belt on. I used a 15490 Dayco belt. This is the belt for my alternate and water pump. Im getting sick of it stopping my cam break in. Any suggestions belt pros? Im definitely making a vinyl for ny truck now that says "Belt frying badass" :toothy10:

If it is adjusted all the way out and still just to snug I would think it might be a bit long....

Depending on the motor/alt combination, too long a distance between pulleys, and high rpm, can cause a lotta slop, and once a belt flips ,, it'll tend to flip more often, till you find the cause, AND replace the belt..

but I'll bet your pulleys are outta align, and/or your belts are too loose..

Yes. Been there done that. You should have at least an inch of adjustment left in the slot on your alternator bracket afetr the belt is tightened. The belt may seem to tighten up, but if it is all the way adjusted out you need a new belt. Get one about 1 1/2" to 2" shorter than what you have and that should take care of the problem. Good luck.

I think I need one that is an 1" shorter. I tried 1.5" and its just barely too short. Thanks guys. I thought so. And I always return the belt after i fry it. The guys at Autozone HATE me

I think I need one that is an 1" shorter. I tried 1.5" and its just barely too short. Thanks guys. I thought so. And I always return the belt after i fry it. The guys at Autozone HATE me
They will get over it. If it is to loose it is highly possible, as Inertia said, that it is turning inside out. Had a truck years ago that had belt issues. Was all stock, belt was tight but it would still jump. Ended up getting a narrower belt to solve the problem....

wow those must be some crappy belts , my darn power steering belt rubs ever so slightly on the water pump pull and I've been cross country and back last summer and all over BC since with out losing it , it wore a stripe of black paint off the pulley and I took it off a couple of weeks ago to fix it by sanding the edge of the belt so it doesn't rub anymore but no problems with the belt frying off LOL.

wow those must be some crappy belts , my darn power steering belt rubs ever so slightly on the water pump pull and I've been cross country and back last summer and all over BC since with out losing it , it wore a stripe of black paint off the pulley and I took it off a couple of weeks ago to fix it by sanding the edge of the belt so it doesn't rub anymore but no problems with the belt frying off LOL.
You would think with it rubbing like that it would have wore the edge off by itself.....

You would think with it rubbing like that it would have wore the edge off by itself.....

It did wear a bevel in the edge but stopped wearing when it was no longer under any pressure against the pulley I just took a little more off so it wouldn't squeal now that it was so slightly touching . The point being most modern belts are pretty tough and shouldn't fry , now having the wrong width belt jump and roll I can see but those usually get chopped or wound up around the crank not fried .

A little shorter belt and try a different brand too. Some have ribs on the outside, some have ribs on the inside and others, none at all.

I have had cars that would toss a belt regularly, but after switching the belt style, I would never have a problem again.

It sounds like one of your components the belt is driving is turning too hard....misalignment will throw a belt not fry it...get a new belt and only tighten it so you can twist it a quarter of it width...deflection not round and round like it runs...then see what component isn't turning or seems to be turning slower.

pulleys could be wore out,...letting belt slide on the flat in bottom of pulley grove,..an the tighter you get it the faster itll burn up,..a lil wider belt might be your answer

What engine accesories do you have?
I can give you a belt numbers off my 78 powerwagon that has no issues.
PS is the only option on my engine.

It sounds like one of your components the belt is driving is turning too hard....misalignment will throw a belt not fry it...get a new belt and only tighten it so you can twist it a quarter of it width...deflection not round and round like it runs...then see what component isn't turning or seems to be turning slower.
:sign3:

with the belt off, how hard is it to spin the water pump? how about the alt? if i had to guess i would say the water pump is siezed up or hitting the case screws maybe

Right on to Harleydartguy & moparlover. My daughter's Taurus fried a couple of serpentine belts. Turned out the AC compressor clutch was locking up. Apparently, it was freezing up intermittently. Rusty bearing balls fell out when the clutch was removed.

Unfortunately for my pocketbook, the initial diagnosis was that the power steering pump was bad because steering fluid was all over the place under the hood. I replaced the pump only to have another belt fry and more fluid leaking. I guess when the pump stopped on a dime, it lost fluid. Or, steering the car to get it off the road could have caused the leak.

Turned out to be the belt was way too slack so it'd slap up and down and then fly off after inverting itself. The alternator and water pump are driven fine and the belt is the right width as it has 0 side wear.

-
Back