belt throwing issues

-

matty wardle

mopar dedicated
Reaction score
just got my 451 stroker going in my 73 cuda,took it for a drive and it threw the p/s belt which then went on to throw the altenator belt ,one of the belts grabbeb around my transmission line and broke the brass fitting oil everywhere,rusty water everywhere,my motor is just an extreme energy comp hydraulic ,it gets on the revs quick,i estimate it makes 550 or 600 at the flywheel,how much power can u put into v belts ,who has run an 11 or 10 sec pass with a v belt,all my brackets are brand new bouchillion performance and everything seems to line up perfect ,any tips on getting v belts to hang on???????????????

t

Hate to say it, but it's probably not the belts. I would suspect alignment of the pulleys or not properly tightened. A V belt doesn't care about horsepower. It just spins in a circular motion. Double check all pulley alignment. That's where I would think the trouble is.

I kepy tossing my belt. My alignment was off 1/8 of and inch. and I went to NAPA for a new belt. My belt is very short and I also have a deep grove over sized pulley on the alternator. I bekieve it was more alignment then the belt. I was also turning the belts around at 8000.

Last time out recall was over 9000 belt is still on. I plan on hooking the alternator up to a kill switch from a relay.

Attachments

• spoiler pics 663.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 174
I had an 89 GMC S-15. Had a new motor put in but the mechanic never put the PS pulley on all the way. Tossed the serpentine belt at least 3 times before I figured it out. Last belt ripped out the elec connection on my A/C compressor, had to get a new compressor because of that! :banghead: Like others have said, sounds like an alignment issue.

Make sure any back mounts that are supposed to be there are. Without them things can/will start a shaking form the harmonics of everything.

Also look for harmonic vibration. This is especially suspect in a modified situation, where belt lengths are changed between pulleys.

I will admit this is less of a problem when drag racing, where fast changing RPM does not allow the belt to "get started" with a vibration.

Also, try a different brand of belt. I had this problem years ago on a Chevelle. Just changing belt manufacturers solved it.

Really good way to see if belt has harmonicks or pulleys are out of alligment and belt moves side to side is to use timing light.

attach timing light to any cylinder and point it towards belt, pulsing light will make belt movement much easier to see

Also, try a different brand of belt. I had this problem years ago on a Chevelle. Just changing belt manufacturers solved it.

Changing belt brands solved a belt tossing problem I had on one of my old 340 Darts.

Really good way to see if belt has harmonicks or pulleys are out of alligment and belt moves side to side is to use timing light.

attach timing light to any cylinder and point it towards belt, pulsing light will make belt movement much easier to see

Thanks for the tip....need to remember this..

-
Back