bench grinder problems HELP!!!

-

78kitcar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
just bought a new 6" grinder off craigslist still in the sealed box (ryobi) Not the greatest tool but good enuff for what i need anyways it came with 2 stone wheels and i purrs like a kitten my problem is i replaced the stone wheels for 2 wire whells and the thing does the river dance all over the shop.does anyone have an idea what to do to stop the dancing? i tried different combos of wheels and mounting nothing seems to work.
THANKS GUYS

I made a mount for my buddies using one of those old doughnut tires(spacesaver spare),had to cut part of the rim away(just the lip)so the rubber would contact the floor,work's awesome!

Great idea waggin, I was going to suggest some rubber under it bolted to a bench but your idea sounds much better. Stuff still shakes around on the bench my way.

i have rubber bushings under it now.Its funny when i first got i opened it set it on the counter unmounted flipped it on and she never moved so im clueless

Wait a sec. You said this thing purrs like a kitten? Is that with the stone wheels attached? If so, the wire wheels are way out of balance and I wouldn't use them as they would most likely damage the bearings after a lot of use. If it danced with the stones they might also be out of balance.

I mounted my grinder to a piece of 2x10 and use clamps to hold it to the workbench. When I am done with it I can unclamp and sit it under the bench out of the way. I hadn't thought about using a rubber pad, but it almost seems like it has rubber feet - I don't remember. Been a long time.
C

yes with the stone wheels on she'll pur like a kitten as soon as i put wire wheels on it dances all over the place whether its one wheel or both it goes everywhere.

I'm grasping at straws here, but do the wire wheels fit tightly on the shaft? My reasoning is Ryobi may use a 12mm shaft and the wheels may be 1/2" (or something of the sort). If the wheels aren't concentric, it'd flop around a bit.

the arbor sizes are different but with the wire wheels steel bushing are supplied for that reason once the steel bushing are in place everything is tight.

Wire wheels out of balance. I'd like to caution you on using wire wheels on a bench grinder, better to use them on a hand-held grinder or not at all. Wires fly out of the things.

-
Back