Votes: 69 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
i cant decide which one i like more:

a bench is comfy and sits up a little higher and gives more passenger room, i doubt a big person would fit in the middle but a small child would.

Buckets are sporty and when in a non-console car they look clean and spacious......with console it looks a bit crowded IMO but still sporty.

i just cant decide which i like more.

comparisons in pics are 68, 69, 71 and 72

Attachments

• CIMG1191.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 861
  • CIMG1179.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 797
  • CIMG0069 (2).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 778
  • mopp_0109_03_z+1969_dodge_dart+interior (2).jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 871
  • 480-71-demaon-25.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 784
  • 3 (2).jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 793
  • 72 buckets.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 860
  • 72 bench.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 796
i am the same way. when i first built my car i had to have buckets and a console. now i have a 65 valiant for my lady and i love the bench with a floor shift.

As short as you are, a passenger would be shoved up against
the dash if they was tall if you use a bench seat.
I am tall and being in a bench against the dash is miserable.

Would buckets without a console solve your shifter bend problem?

as many cars and parts as you have. you should just build one of each and see how you like them. lol.

Bench with 4spd is the new cool.

I totally agree! My '69 Dart project car with a 4-speed/bench seat will be the first bench seat car I've had in over 20 years. I had some reservations because I DO still LOVE bucket seats/console cars, but......those consoles are a bit weighty and I wanted to drop off a few pounds off the car too. And I don't do buckets without a console.

As short as you are, a passenger would be shoved up against
the dash if they was tall if you use a bench seat.
I am tall and being in a bench against the dash is miserable.

Hey, I never thought about that.....you're absolutely right! Well, there's always the "wooden blocks on the pedals" option. LOL I can't vote b/c I'm basically a buckets/console person, but on this project, I'm going bench!

that fourth picture showing the tan bench seat with the floor shifter looks like the interior of my old 69 Dart Swinger 340 I've been looking for, for almost 35 years! Same color exterior! Could it be?? Ben.

Bench with 4spd is the new cool.

This^

As soon as I'm done with the entire swap, I'll get pics up.

Best of both worlds, IMO, running the factory high back bench seat, movable arm rest and a 4 speed in the '73 Scamp.

They only had parchment as a light color option in the seats, off white in buckets. Called Legendary and ordered front/ rear off white high back bench covers against black carpet.

I love how it looks. Can't wait to see what it looks like with the pistol grip.

bucket seats, no console. bench is way too grandma. unless you wanna be a .... grandma.

that fourth picture showing the tan bench seat with the floor shifter looks like the interior of my old 69 Dart Swinger 340 I've been looking for, for almost 35 years! Same color exterior! Could it be?? Ben.

pics 1 to 3 are my own cars ....pic 1 and 2 are actually the same car .

pic number 4 was a car that was for sale in Denver, Colorado ...it was a bronze 69 swinger 340.

the rest of the pics were ones i found on a google search :rambo:

If a front bench doesn't include the fold down center arm rest it may as well be buckets IMO.
The factory center console is about worthless. I'm not going to put the bench back in but I want to do something different for a console even if that means moving the automatic shifter back up to the column.
I think you would need to drive with either arrangement for some time to recognize the differences.

If a front bench doesn't include the fold down center arm rest it may as well be buckets IMO.
The factory center console is about worthless. I'm not going to put the bench back in but I want to do something different for a console even if that means moving the automatic shifter back up to the column.
I think you would need to drive with either arrangement for some time to recognize the differences.

pic 1 and 2 is my 68 dart and your right that after driving with both combos i didnotice a big difference ....the bench does sit up higher ......with the buckets i need a booster pillow bcoz i am a small person ( almost 4' 10") with the buckets i have to move it all the way foward and use booster pillow, with the bench i could set it to one notch from the end and still be comfy ....i could see the hood with the bench but not so much with the bucket.

but your right that the personality of each and car will be different .......good point

And I don't do buckets without a console.

the problem i have with consoles is that every car i have now is either a 3 or 4 speed and console stuff for 4 speed is big money and rare.

i do have a 4 speed console set-up but it costs sooooo much to restore and get it perfect. (pitted chrome and missing boots) ugggghhh

if your going with auto then a console will be more feasable bcoz they made a gazillion of those.......if 4 speed console stuff was less expensive and more available i would prolly go for it ....but not when its going to cost $1000. + to get it all correct and nice :read:

plus i find that most 4 speed cars that were purpose built for track and high performance use, usually lacked the console

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zip4QyJyD5g"]Stickshifts and Safetybelts by Cake - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back