Bench testing 68 cuda gauges

-
Can someone tell me how to benchtest my guages before I install guage faces
get three AA batteries and link them together. I use tape to hold them in place. Then touch the posts with the wires you connect to each end of the batteries in series

If you have the cluster assembled and a good IVR you can check them easily with a battery

Look up in the service manual (download from MyMopar) where to hook ignition feed to the cluster connector, and battery NEG to the cluster ground

Get some resistors, or use your fuel sender. You can check each gauge by putting the appropriate resistance from the sender terminal of the gauge to ground.

If you post a GOOD CLEAR shot of the rear of the cluster, we can tell you what / where that is

Here are the resistances:

c-3826-jpg-jpg.jpg

Additional: Make sure you check your cluster/ pc board see this thread here

Printed circuit pins repair

The major points that can go wrong:

1....The PC board connector pins get loose/ corroded and lose good contact with the board traces. Solder them as in thread above

2...IVR bad, replace with solid state

3...IVR "socket" contacts don't have contact with PC board. Bridge solder across as in thread above

4....Gauge studs/ nuts corroded/ loose, loosen/ tighten 2-3 times to scrub clean. You can replace the tin nuts with "real" ones

5....Of course the gauges can be bad. They are all the same electrically so if you test with resistors, they should all read same

6....Don't forget the connector pins on the sender side....those too can be bad as in (1) above

-
Back