Bench testing a variable/3 speed wiper motor

-

fshd4it

Squid inc
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a spare wiper motor for my '65 Belvedere, just want to make sure it works correctly. I downloaded the FSM, but the bench testing directions don't make sense. I think there's a typo, as it has the yellow wire being jumpered to both positive and negative. Supposedly the 1965 Dodge manual describes the correct procedure, but I haven't been able to find one of those. Also, I kinda thought the black wire would be the "ground strap", but there's 810 ohms resistance between the wire and the case. Yeah, motors aren't my strong suit.
Edit- just to make this a little longer...
Red, field 1
Yellow, field 2
Black, armature
Blue, park
20240120_103414.jpg

Screenshot_2024-01-20-19-11-49.png

Can't help you on testing. Maybe the '65 is different, but I thought that the 3 speed/variable had its own wiring harness the plugged directly into the bulkhead.

Later they did, but this one's all stuffed up under the dash.

I just saw the test procedure I had found, I’ll see if I can post it tomorrow, but what I was testing was for a 68. It is a variable, but the test ran it as hi speed, low speed and park.
(I think I saw it on my work computer)

Last edited:
I believe that variable and 3 speed are 2 different systems. The motor in the picture is a variable as the single speed only has 1 connector. 3 speed wipers came later.

I've read some arguments on line about variable vs. 3 speed, seems they are the same motor with different switches?

Last edited:
Heres what I’ve got, though I’m working on a different year, & my wiring looks different. The test procedure did work for me, but obviously can’t make any guarantees.
My guess would be
My green = your yellow &
My brown = your black

IMG_4069.jpeg

IMG_4066.jpeg

IMG_3829.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Rod, I'll see where that combo gets me. I have jumper wires with small fuses in-line for just in case.

Yep, that's the ticket. Tested fine in high, low, and park... just swapped my wire colors to yours. Thanks again.

-
Back