Bench Testing

-

440 Mike

Reaction score
Does anyone have a preferred way to bench test the instrument cluster? 68 Dart, I'd like to start by checking the lights and illumination. What power source would be best?

I didn't test lights and illumination. I guess I had no concerns there other than bulbs and bulb holders.
I did test gages using all the methods recommended. First check for resistance in the gage. The used some D Cells in series to check response to 3 or 4.5 volts. Finally hooked up resistors to represent sending unit resistance, and then used a car battery to power the IVR and see how the gages responded to low, mid and high resistance.

12v power source. (Car battery or DC power supply)

3 resisters

1 watt should be enough for short term testing

10 ohm
23 ohm
73 ohm

Some alligator test leads

A multimeter

Watch and understand this video

trace out your circuit board so you know what is what.

any trace that has a screw that goes through it is a ground.

hook up the power source negative to a good ground on the cluster

Most bulbs will need positive to a pin on the cir board to illuminate.

Thanks for the replies. Found this thread to be helpful too.

1708350918791.png

Going well so far. Started out by checking the housing to circuit board trace ground screws, not so good. Removed screws and gave traces the De-Oxit and Q-tip treatment until good continuity on the meter. Next the bulbs and holders. One broken holder, replaced with spare. I'll replace all of the GE 158's when I get some. Cleaned bulb traces and contacts with De-Oxit again, good stuff!

The nuts on the fuel/temp gauge posts were surprisingly loose, age I suppose. Cleaned and got good continuity from the pins to the posts. While gauges were disconnected from the trace they both read about 12.5 ohms. Ammeter nuts were loose on the posts also, cleaned and snugged up.

Flashlight battery test next, then find some resistors.

Ammeter nuts were loose on the posts also, cleaned and snugged up
Be carefully tightening ( or loosening) the nuts. I destroyed a perfectly good gauge because the nuts twisted the posts.

Since then I use two nuts as jam nuts to hold the post tight while loosening / tightening the nuts.

I also had an Ammeter that the posts were twisted enough that the insides were shorted to the housing

-
Back