Benefits to running a MSD type ignition

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
So, Im planning on future upgrades to my car. I see a lot of people that run MSD boxes and Im wondering what the pro's or perhaps con's might be. If I were to add one of these boxes I would also want to swap in the distributor and upgrade the wiring and coil.

My car is currently a 360 with stock electronic ignition. Is there any gain to upgrading to a Blaster 2 coil and larger pug wires now?

Short answer? No...not in my opinion but you'll get a bunch of different opinions on this one. I for one like the FBO ignition that Don sells. Better than the factory or even MP stuff but retains the stock type set up and it's cheaper than a full MSD set up! Dons new box eliminates the ballast too. I've had 2 of his kits on my cars and have never had a part go bad. So you could upgrade to something like this easily and he will curve and phase a new dizzy if you give him your specs all in one nice plug/play package with his full ignition kit.

Www.4secondsflat.com

As well MRL just did a side by side test with FBO part ps and MSD and Dons stuff beat the MSD. Can't find the thread but search MRL here and you'll find it!

Good luck

If its not a race car, just do HEI $100 in comparison to $2-300.

Talk to trailbeast. He sells the whole plug and play kit for $100 shipped to your door

You eventually reach a point of diminishing returns on ignition system upgrades on a street engine. Once you have "enough" ignition to reliably light the intake charge at the correct time, anything more is still just "enough". Nothing wrong with an MSD 6 box, but a MP Chrome box or FBO would probably net similar results. The blaster coil may want more current than the stock production Mopar box will be happy providing. The 6AL has a built in rev limiter which is nice though.

i would be more concern with getting the distributor curved correct...and get the correct amount of initial and mechanical advance then the ecu box...

-
Back