Bent up stuff

-
You'll stop screwing things up when they start shoveling dirt on ya. LOL. They always say you learn the most from your mistakes. I beat myself up each time something I'm working on turns to crap. If I didn't want to continue beating my head against the wall I'd give up on it all. When it's all said and done you'll find you've got better stories to tell than the guys that never mess up. Good luck.

Haven't heard it mentioned. It might be different with rollers, but coil bind isn't normally nice to cam and lifters. Inspect carefully.

I
You'll stop screwing things up when they start shoveling dirt on ya. LOL. They always say you learn the most from your mistakes. I beat myself up each time something I'm working on turns to crap. If I didn't want to continue beating my head against the wall I'd give up on it all. When it's all said and done you'll find you've got better stories to tell than the guys that never mess up. Good luck.
In all fairness I feel like this wasn't exactly my screw up other than trusting someone who I perceived as to knowing what they were doing. Since I don't know very much about valvetrain geometry, I employed the help of my local machinist where they machine race motors. Seemed totally plausible to me. He does know some stuff, but in this case he dropped the ball. He's young and got in over his head on this Mopar valvetrain stuff. A lesson learned for me. I have a feeling he isn't done though because he ground through two sets of LS Chevy heads while porting them to the point where they couldn't be fixed. He hasn't apologized to me either after making him aware that the springs he ordered and installed for me are collapsed and in a bind. To further confuse things he insisted that my pushrod length wasn't that important due to having adjustable rockers. In my mind I am thinking that yea, but you can only adjust so much and a longer rod means longer travel for the rocker. He was fixated on the stationary point of the axis. Pointless to argue. I just gave up.

I

In all fairness I feel like this wasn't exactly my screw up other than trusting someone who I perceived as to knowing what they were doing. Since I don't know very much about valvetrain geometry, I employed the help of my local machinist where they machine race motors. Seemed totally plausible to me. He does know some stuff, but in this case he dropped the ball. He's young and got in over his head on this Mopar valvetrain stuff. A lesson learned for me. I have a feeling he isn't done though because he ground through two sets of LS Chevy heads while porting them to the point where they couldn't be fixed. He hasn't apologized to me either after making him aware that the springs he ordered and installed for me are collapsed and in a bind. To further confuse things he insisted that my pushrod length wasn't that important due to having adjustable rockers. In my mind I am thinking that yea, but you can only adjust so much and a longer rod means longer travel for the rocker. He was fixated on the stationary point of the axis. Pointless to argue. I just gave up.

I remember trying to figure out the exact length and he said you have adjustable rockers so there is room to play around. So, he ordered 7.250 I believe which are actually way too long judging by my bound up springs.

If he was able to attain any kind of lash the first time, it goes back to misadjustment to coil bind. The fact they were readjusted improperly the second time is what killed it. Sounds like he didn't take the time to roll the engine over and check lash on the heel of the cam. With the spring specs posted I don't know how it would have fired the first time unless the 1.6's were added later. Even on paper the room is not there.
I had an experience with a machine shop where I spec'd 901 springs when I got them back they had used whatever their best deal/house springs on it. It really pays to educate yourself to check over anybody else's work, and long term you'll be glad you did. on another occasion, in my younger days I experienced I experience the same lesson as you.

To further confuse things he insisted that my pushrod length wasn't that important due to having adjustable rockers.

And here's your sign.

I wouldn't let this guy within 20 feet of my car. Engine in it or not. I'm nothing more than a "shady tree mechanic" but even I know that pushrod length is kind of important. There's no guessing. You can't "take up" any kind of distance with the adjustable rockers. The adjustment is so small it's there for adjustments that are in thousandths of an inch. AKA valve lash. And the fact that he "was guessing" at valve lash is just incredible. How does he even work with motors? The other guys haven't kicked him out of the shop by now?

New problem. The rockers were digging into the springs. He thought he had clearance them enough but they were digging into the valve springs. As you can see the pro comp rockers are so thick it is hard to get them to clear.

20160724_185817.jpg

I remember trying to figure out the exact length and he said you have adjustable rockers so there is room to play around. So, he ordered 7.250 I believe which are actually way too long judging by my bound up springs.
Remember these words." Never argue with a moron, they will drag you down to their level and BEAT you with experience!"

New problem. The rockers were digging into the springs. He thought he had clearance them enough but they were digging into the valve springs. As you can see the pro comp rockers are so thick it is hard to get them to clear.

View attachment 1714953278
They are not exactly chewed up. The silver is from using a die grinder to clearance around the valve springs. However the deep groove cut in is from it digging into the spring.

Let it sit for a while and try to get your "buddy" to pony up some money.
You will have to take the engine out and go through it and asses the damage. All that metal went somewhere.
See what you can reuse and go from there.
It can be fixed!

They are not exactly chewed up. The silver is from using a die grinder to clearance around the valve springs. However the deep groove cut in is from it digging into the spring.
The roller beat to death or just stuff on it?

WOW, just WOW. Just read the whole thread. Been wrenching on Mopars since I was 12, I'm 73 now and have NEVER read a story of such incompetence, especially by a supposed machinist. Adjusting valve lash by watching them operate! Removing the vacuum advance and PCV 'cause it might cause leaks! Advancing ignition to make up for the vacuum advance loss! Oh, the engine rattling, just go run it and it will settle in! And on and on.....

Sorry but as others have said, this engine needs total tear down and inspection. Really sorry for your situation. Can't imagine this guy hasn't been run out of town before this......

He shouldn't be allowed near a kiddie pedal cart!
Noooooo.jpg

The roller tips isn't flattened. It's just discolored. There shouldn't be metal everywhere. Some members are mistaking where we had to hit the rockers with a die grinder to clearance them for the valve springs as metal on metal. I was just trying to show where the rocker had contacted the section of valve spring in that deep groove.

-
Back