Bent upper control arm!!!!

-

Andre68

Reaction score
73 Plymouth duster, drums, slant 6, auto, manual steering.

Redoing the front suspension with a pst kit.

Man where the upper control arm bushings a pain!! That ball joint was snug on there too!

Anyways while trying to press out one of the bushings I somehow managed to bend the upper control arm. One of the bushings would just not budge, I got some movement and I thought it was the bushing... Wrong! Control arm was bending so I stopped. I got the bushings out eventually, but now the control arm is off by like 1/2 an inch. I tried using a pry bar to get it to fit but stopped because I realized it wasn't the fresh bushings but the bent arm.

Luckily I do have an extra arm lying around for that exact size and year, lucky!!!
But I would rather not use it if I don't have too. After this experience I did break down and buy the American muscle removal tool.

Is there anyway to maybe fix this arm? Or is it done? Thanks!

I say bend it back to match the one you have. It's just thick sheet metal. Shouldn't be difficult. I've made that mistake a lot in the past on various vehicles pressing bushings. That's why I don't use a press. I use an air chisel on them to get them out. Works without fail.

Man I'll have to use an air chisel next time! Any ideas on how to bend it back?

I agree that it's maybe done for but, shoot if there's a chance, why not?!

I say bend it back to match the one you have. It's just thick sheet metal. Shouldn't be difficult. I've made that mistake a lot in the past on various vehicles pressing bushings. That's why I don't use a press. I use an air chisel on them to get them out. Works without fail.

I agree. Bend it back. at 1/2" the metal should not have folded.

I did the same thing on my upper arms. Bent it , it's junk. The best way to remove old bushings is to burn them out. Not witha cutting torch but a small hand torch. Beware when installing new bushings as you can bend the control arm as well.

Bending metal weakens it to some degree but... there's no major lateral load on the arm that would bend it under the car.
The fact that you couldn't find a way to straighten it when about half way installed confirms this.
I would straighten and install it if I didn't have a spare.

After this experience I did break down and buy the American muscle removal tool.

Why didn't you break down and buy a set of RMS upper control arms? No bushings to press out on them and they fix the geometry issues in the factory setup. (And look better)

Those rms looked sweet! Getting those for my cuda for sure!!!

Well I'm gonna try and bend someway see how it goes

Why didn't you break down and buy a set of RMS upper control arms? No bushings to press out on them and they fix the geometry issues in the factory setup. (And look better)

They allow for more caster. No real geometry change in regards to things like roll center, bump steer, camber gain, etc.....

You can install moog 7103 upper control arm bushing in factory upper control arms are gain 2-3 degrees positive caster adjustment.

They allow for more caster. No real geometry change in regards to things like roll center, bump steer, camber gain, etc.....

You can install moog 7103 upper control arm bushing in factory upper control arms are gain 2-3 degrees positive caster adjustment.

Improving available caster, to me is a geometry improvement. Your right, the rest is unchanged by the new arms. However going to a heim also prevent deflection.

The tubular arm itself is a stronger, nicer looking piece. at least the RMS one is. I can't speak for the others.

here are some pics of the bent arm, i can take some next to the spot where it should be on the duster to show the clearence.

i think i may just swap it for the good arm. Also will the american muscle bushing remover damage the new bushing? thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0506.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0507.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 291
Your probably best off to find another control arm.

I'll throw this out there although I've not tried it myself. Don't laugh too hard.#-o
First, I wouldn't expect a perfect outcome if I were to bend it back in line. That said, if I were to try to bend this thing I think I'd try to use two heavy wall tubes, (or similar) pending on clearance over each end of the bushing, captured by a rock solid mounted vise that can be cranked down. Use the rest of the arm and whatever persuader needed to bend it.
I think I would stay away from heating it. Good luck!

Some low quality visual reference..........
Tube sections = yellow
Vise = green

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 239
-
Back