Best aftermarket intake/carb for 340 V8 '67 CUDA?

-

blano86

Reaction score
I am in the market for an aftermarket intake manifold and carburetor for my 340 in my '67 'CUDA. I am looking for a little more horses but at the same time it will be a daily driver. Price is somewhat of a factor but I am willing to spend a little more to get quality. What is the best aftermarket combination intake manifold and carburetor? Edelbrock or Holley?

I currently have a stock manifold that weighs a gazillion tons and a junky carterAFB that works properly half the time.

Thanks
Blane from Livingston, CA

For a daily driver, a dual plane would be the only way to go with nothing bigger than a 750 with vacuum secondaries. Edelbrock RPM or RRM/Air Gap (no-heat crossover). LD340 & Weiand Stealth are good too. Carb depends on which you know how to tinker with. I prefer Holley but there are lots of good running Carter-style carbs out there.

I only race now but I'm sure others will offer their street combo first-hand advice.

I agree with Loco 100%.
All the above mentioned intakes are very very good with HP levels to small in there differences to really matter. Also, not mentioned, now that I think for a second is the Weiand Action plus which is extremely similar to the Stealth at a cost savings of around $50 or so. Not a dang thing wrong with that intake and I myself would prefurr it over the Edelbrock Performer.

Are there any mods to the engine?

I'd definitely go with the edelbrock air gap performer, AND a barry grant 650 (which flows as well as a 750) customized carb, with bottom flow needle and seat and jet extensions. Now you'll find all the ponies that your 340 can produce.

JM2C

I'd rule out the ld340 unless you can get one super cheap. Its not a bad intake but when I swapped out the ld340 for an rpm airgap the improvement was truly astonishing. this was with a holley 750 dp on a 340 with a .557 solid lifter cam.

Your stock intake besides on being heavy isn't a bad intake. Sounds like you need a new carb more so. Holley /demons make more power-the double pumpers for sure yet I like the Carter / Edelbrocks for daily drivers since they seem to love idle and low rpms more than the Holleys.

If it was my motor I would just swap the carb out and see how much better it is. Less work and money.

BTW, I am using a rare D66 dual quad intake on my 340 with two 500 Carters. I love it! Motor fires right up cold and idles cold after just 20-30 seconds of running. My old Holley and then Demon carbs hated cold motors and I tuned it, believe me. Played with the air bleeds and idle feed restrictions. Made it better but never as good as my Carter carbs.

Yep, I would just drop a 750 Edelbrock on it and nothing else and go from there.

I'd go with a Weiand action plus or an air gap and a holley 750 with vacuum secondaries..unless you want to be playing with it stay away from Demon carbs the 650 i had was a total piece of crap..

Well my Demon 650 was the Race model. I got it off ebay from some racing school in NC that was saying for each new school year the cars get new motors and carbs. It was a really nice carb I thought. I did disassemble it and put in all new gaskets and did see some metal shavings? It ran pretty much trouble free for me but did notice the metering blocks were fussy on which gaskets I used. Holleys and Demons metering blocks can have internal leaks between the gaskets that may not leak fuel but cause rough running. It kick butt thou for just a 650 carbs. Boy if my d66 intake manifold could take two Holleys and not Carters wow but then I may have never noticed how much smoother a Carter carb could run at under 1,500 rpms.

daily driver...

eddy performer rpm....has intake heat..
eddy 650 AVS ....has electric choke

Blano;

The below 2 quotes. Both great set ups! I myself love an AVS though any carb you feel good with is what you should run. What gears do you have?

I'd go with a Weiand action plus or an air gap and a holley 750 with vacuum secondaries.

daily driver...

eddy performer rpm....has intake heat..
eddy 650 AVS ....has electric choke

I'd rule out the ld340 unless you can get one super cheap. Its not a bad intake but when I swapped out the ld340 for an rpm airgap the improvement was truly astonishing. this was with a holley 750 dp on a 340 with a .557 solid lifter cam.

Your combo has a decently high lift cam. Is that a MoPar cam? I can see where the RPM pays off. Low to mid range RPM, those intakes are a dead heat and excellent for mild to moderate engines.

ditto on an air gap, 626-750 max afb electric choke, great driver way to go! :)

cant wait to see how my Port Matched EBAY Crosswinds 340-360 Intake Manifold & Edelbrock 1406 Electric Choke 600cfm runs on my roller cam 360!!!

I have tried a bunch of carbs on my 360 and like the Holley 670 Street Avenger the best. It was basically a drop on and go, only had to set the idle speed and tweak the choke a little.

I have a Crosswind intake too. Can't compare it to anything else since it's the only intake I have had on the engine. With the 670 the car will cruise comfortabley at 1100 rpm and pulls strong from 1500 to 6000+. The air-gap type intakes are probally not the best choice if you daily drive in temperatures below 45 F. Mine at 45 takes a couple of miles of driving to warm up enough to be happy taking gas and in the 20's it will take 5 miles or so to warm up.

Is your old LD340 for sale?

Is there going to be any hood clearance issues with an Air GAp Eddy?

I think that the 340 is from 1971 and it is pretty much stock and has a 904 tranny. Does this engine/tranny combo change my options for intake/carb?

Is there going to be any hood clearance issues with an Air GAp Eddy?

I think that the 340 is from 1971 and it is pretty much stock and has a 904 tranny. Does this engine/tranny combo change my options for intake/carb?

I have the RPM Air-gap on my 68 Cuda with a 750 Holley and it clear fine. In fact I have a 1" spacer under the carb and it clears. And no the 71 engine doesn't change things. The RPM or RPM Air-Gap works great on any year 340/360 LA engine.

-
Back