Best approach to buying tools?

-

MeucciGarage

Mopars Unlimited Seattle
Reaction score
Hey Fabo i have a few questions and need a whole lot of advice haha.

I am 19 and starting to build my own personal tool collection vs just using my dads all of the time haha and i need some help with approaching it. I dont plan on becoming a mechanic as a career just your standard home repairs and working on my mopars and i have a few key questions but mainly just need advice. by the way i do work at Harbor Freight but i also know where they stand in the tool world generally classified as junk and im not bias towards them at all with exception of a question or 2 because i know snap on craftsman etc are better tools overall.

Ratchets- ive heard good things about Harbor Freight Ratchets (HF) and was looking to purchase a set of the ones in the picture. a set of composite and low profiles in all 3 sizes.

Wrenches- i currently own the universal open end ratchet type wrench with splines from HF but am looking to buy standard wrenches and ratchet style as well.

Sockets- this is where most of my concern is. i dont know where to start with sockets. obviously you want a set of deep wall and shallow in SAE and Metric but whats a good set to start out with? sizes etc especially for the mopar world haha.

WARRANTIES- we all know craftsman has a lifetime warranty but ive read and heard its harder than it used to be (EX: itd be hard to take rounded our sockets from a pawn shop for 10 cents a socket and go get a brand new set cuz of technicalitis) if im wrong please correct me haha. Snap on ive heard has a great warranty policy but is by mail only and theres hardly any distributors however from experience HF is lifetime no uestions ask. you bring in a socket screwdriver plier wrench etc we go get a new one and say have a nice day plus they are 10 min from my house.

Quality- yes the cheaper the price cheaper the tool. but ive heard some craftsman tools arent what they used to be and arent worth the price tag where HF has slowly been getting more quality tools from Taiwan but still cheap.

i dont know a whole lot about snap on but from what ive read and heard they are the way to go but super expensive. again im 19 on a tight budget and duster project car haha i would reallly like to stay away from arguments on this thread but feel free to swap thoughts and compare brands O:) thank you in advance for all the advice, logic, personal experience stories, and help everyone.

Attachments

• 62626020_554736_full.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 489
  • 31CgYq5A6xL.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 459
  • f254fc9fee482ace8a54a36d4b880131.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 469
  • image_17027.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 486
  • image_20510.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 483
  • 62619_zzz_500.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 484
  • image_24349.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 464
I have always liked Craftsman. Keep an eye open for sales on their 240+ tool sets. When you can get them for less than a dollar a tool, you're doing good. My first tool set was a Craftsman 225 piece set and one of their 3 drawer boxes.

I have a Harbor Freight 2.5 ton floor jack that I've been using for 25 years now and only had to service and bleed once since purchasing. I also have some of their jack stands that I bought at the same time that have never given me any issues.

I've always liked the quality of Channel Locks and Vise Grips brands. They cost a lot more, but the quality is worth it when you need it.

I use some HF tools, not a bunch. They will replace things that break, no questions asked.

For a budget minded person, I would consider buying a Craftsman set. They aren't built like they were, but still aren't bad. As far as returns, I have had zero issues getting anything replaced, even when I buy something half wore out at a garage sale.

And, I always look at garage sales, yard sales second hand shops, sometimes you can get some screaming deals. I was at a yard sale a couple of summers ago, I walked out with 3 complete sets of Snap On wrenches, a set of nearly new ball peen hammers, and a top chest with drawers, and a Mac Tools roll around seat for the measly sum of 50 bucks.

It really does pay to shop around at garage sales!

View attachment Box.jpg

I came home and looked up the Snap On wrench sets, and for me to buy them from SO, it would have been nearly 900 bucks.

Craigs List is a good place to look for the garage sales. Most times they will say tools in the ad if they have any.

I scored this Snap On box for 300 bucks off of CL:

Attachments

• Box1so.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 477
Harbor Freight now has a lifetime warranty on all of their Pittsburgh hand tools.

Regular Craftsman hand tools are not made in the US anymore. Their "professional" series hand tools still were the last time I checked.

I have a significant amount of Craftsman "professional" series tools, as well as a couple small sets of the Harbor Freight Pittsburgh tools that I put together to carry in my cars and out to the local salvage yards. The Pittsburgh tools work just as well, and have held up great. The only tool I've had to exchange so far was a Craftsman professional series ratchet, because it stripped out. I've had no issues with any of the Pittsburgh tools.

I'd love to buy nothing but American made tools, but it gets harder to find them and more expensive to buy them every year.

Something else you might consider is keeping an eye on the local Craigslist. A lot of tools show up on there, and while it's not the best if you need something today, it's a decent way to build your tool collection. Usually you can find Craftsman, and even sometimes Snap-On tools, for decent prices.

I bought snap on when I was starting out 40 years ago.
Mostly out of convenience of a weekly route.
Still have and use them to this day and happy with them.
The snap on ratchets will spoil you and make you want to throw
nearly any other brand as far as you can when you have to use them.
Wrenches the same to a lesser degree.
Sockets not so much.
Most of the time nearly any tool will get the job done. But its that time when
a bolt is really froze or the head wore that top quality tools shine.
Ratchets that skip, wrench jaws that spread, and sockets that split can be irritating.
I haven't used any harbor freight tools myself but that's how the import tools were
long ago. They were stamped made in Japan when I started out and was your clue
what to expect.

I have had decent luck with the Home Depot Huskys and the Stanley tools. I have found them pretty cheap at Wallyworld. I even picked up a two ton floor jack at wallyworld for $20.

I understand the HF stuff has a decent warranty. So if you have one around the corner, why not. Not sure on their ratchet quality or features. I do have some deep well impact sockets that seem to be just fine so far.
IMO, If you can find a 3/8" Fine Tooth Flex Head Quick Release you'll be doing yourself a favor. I have a USA Craftsman 42794 and it is my go to in limited "throw" areas. A Craftsman may be hard to find new these days. If you find one don't expect HF prices.

Attachments

• Crftsmn3_8FTFHQR.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 487
pawn shops and ebay for craftsman tools.

The new craftsman tools in sears are now made in china.....they are marked so if you know what to look for you can tell them apart.

Go back even 5 years and you get Made in USA craftsman tools, so I would get older ones from pawn shops or on ebay.

Years ago I got a job at sears just for the employee discount and dumped my whole paychecks into tools and when I was satisfied that I had enough ....I quit.

Tools for hobby/ home use? Buy what has warranty and convenience. You don't need the best. I sell MAC but a quality MAC ratchet won't be any good for you if it needs a kit and you can't find a dealer. Home Depot/ Cobalt look good although I don't know about their warranty. Craftsman isn't as good as it once was but inexpensive and convenient. Catch my drift?

I started my tool collection at age 13, with the help of my dad. I received a quality tool on my Bday and Xmas. He started me out with the basic tools, wrenches, ratchets, sockets, pliers and screwdrivers. MY dad stressed the importance of a quality tool.
you will use tools throughout your life, so buy the best.
Snap on, SK and some craftsman.

Not too many years ago I would have fallen on the floor laughing if someone had even suggested HF tools. Well, crap. I just bought a small socket set from them, the other day, to throw in the pickup

Here's the thing.

NObody that I know of, sells good tools anymore, except maybe Snap on and Matco and a few specialized pro tools

"In my day" there were several.......Armstrong, Thordarson, Craftsman, SK, Proto, and some others Most of them have diminished or are gone, or nobody sells them

Craftsman seems to be 1/2 step above the chineseo

Whatever Lowes sells may be "ok"

If you can use HF without breaking too many, and IF they stand behind them for warranty, then WTF? Might as well I guess

It's a sad state of this country, that's all

Most of my tools are Craftsman. Some S-K Wayne from years back, and Snap On. I put together a tool bag for work, for all my cars. A lot from Harbor Freight, with no issues from any of them. Watch Ace Hardware for sales. I bought Craftsman 12 pc combination wrenches for $20, and 6 pc Gearwrench's for $10 at Christmas. They will probably have a hot tool sale again for Fathers Day. Being 19, and probably not a lot of money to spend, I'd get the HF tools for now. As you get to the point you can afford better, you will still have those for back up/spares.

Get as good a quality of hand tools sa you can afford. Many seldom used items are Harbor Freightable. I have 6 ton jack stands, 29 ton press, blast cabinet, and a few others from there. But quality pullers! Cheap ones seldom get the job done well..

I have mostly Craftsman, with the exception of some specialized individual tools from Snap on.
Snap on has a real nice double box end long wrench with 6 point 8mm on one end and 10 on the other.
Now obviously the cars we are here about are all good old American standard sizes, but 8mm crosses to 5/16 which are usually in places a long wrench works best. (for breaking them loose without trashing the head)

Another is a 1/4 drive speed handle with swivel sockets, and one more is a 36 inch 1/2 drive to 3/8 drive extension and 3/8 flex drive impact sockets. (Makes bell housing bolts a total breeze.)

There are situations where mixing specific metric tools with American can come in handy, like the 8mm wrench or socket fitting 5/16 nuts and bolts.
Or a 14mm box wrench on a 9/16 bolt head because it fits tighter on the bolt than the 9/16 and has less chance of slipping off.

I started buying tools when I first got out of school in the mid 70's. First was from a snapon dealer, then when he retired we got a matco dealer. then Mac. So my tool box is full of many different types.
Once I retired from wrenching for a living I started buying HF air tools such as die grinders, drills and things like that. Also have bought some cobalt as well. They dont last as long from my experience but I dot use them as hard or as often as I did in the past.I do agree with the craftsman sales. They have great package deal for us at home working on our own stuff.
Rod

Why are you going to buy metric tools. If you are working on the older cars, everything is english.

For specialty tools like double flaring tools, pipe benders, etc, go with professional Snap-on, Mac, Matco, etc as the cheaper ones do not work as well and will give you fits....

A Jedi needs good tools...

I tend to stick with six point stuff, snap on wrenches in particular, sometimes it's the only one that will take that ol' crusty beat up slightly rounded bolt off. For sockets I have S-K, some Matco, Cornwell impacts, Craftsman. Channel Locks and Vice-Grip definitely. Better tools fit the fastener better and you'll take less damage. H-F air tools seem to hold up for my occasional use.

I have mostly craftsman tools in my toolbox, my son I have been buying him Kobalt tools..they seem like good quality for the home mechanic. If you still live at home I would buy different tools then what your dad has that way you dont get them mixed up. For Home use I would see nothing wrong with Craftsman, Kobalt, Husky tools.

Tell your family that you want tools or gift cards for the tools that you want for Christmas and birthdays. Also you can find some good deals on eBay and even local auctions that people have as fund raisers in your community. I don't think that you can have too many tools. Seems like my 20 year old son needs to start his own collection as well! You gave me a great idea!! Ha ha

Why are you going to buy metric tools. If you are working on the older cars, everything is english.

For specialty tools like double flaring tools, pipe benders, etc, go with professional Snap-on, Mac, Matco, etc as the cheaper ones do not work as well and will give you fits....

A Jedi needs good tools...

You read that except for the last line or two apparently, so here it is again. :D

"There are situations where mixing specific metric tools with American can come in handy, like the 8mm wrench or socket fitting 5/16 nuts and bolts.
Or a 14mm box wrench on a 9/16 bolt head because it fits tighter on the bolt than the 9/16 and has less chance of slipping off."

guys this is all amazing! ive learned a lot and a lot of tricks! i cant thank you enough and as for why im buying metric tools its because i have a newer jeep (96 to be exact) that has a lot of metric on it so i figured i might as well keep my collection even and buy one of each
again thank you so much for the information and honesty.

guys this is all amazing! ive learned a lot and a lot of tricks! i cant thank you enough and as for why im buying metric tools its because i have a newer jeep (96 to be exact) that has a lot of metric on it so i figured i might as well keep my collection even and buy one of each
again thank you so much for the information and honesty.

Jeep. You will need a set of quality Torx drivers. They break regardless who makes them. Get ones that can be easily warrantied.

-
Back