Best Bang for the Buck Head???

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I'm looking into upgrading the stock X heads on my 340. How do the following heads rank in bang for the buck? How would guys rank them, and where's the best place to get them???

1) Buy RHS heads

2) Buy Edelbrock heads

3) Buy Procomp heads

4) Port the X heads I already have

My build will be a stock stroke 340, 10:1 comp, not sure on the cam yet, RPM airgap, 750 DP, TTI headers, 727 w/ 9.5" convertor, 3.91s, 28" tires.

I'm going to be looking to do almost the same thing. Ive heard to look into INDY, and MOPAR also.I'm curious to findout also

Cast iron heads will be RHS the best bang for the buck.
Aluminum heads will be eddy heads will be the best bang for the buck.

I would go with the Edelbrocks for best bang for the buck, and they are 40+ lbs lighter than the iron heads if I recall correctly.

The RHS heads were designed as a replacement head for the aging production heads. They would be ideal on a 340 street engine . I feel steel castings are best on street engines . While the other heads mentioned are very good,..they are not meant as replacements for a stock stroke 340 CID street engine. The RHS heads flow so much better than the production castings without expensive porting, bowl porting (cheap) will get them over 270 easy and is more than enough for 425-450 range . I dont feel the 40 pounds the Eddies save will be a factor on street hardware. They are all VERY good but for the money RHS are hard to beat. 450-500 is easy on a stock stroke, 10 to 1 street driven 360 build . JMHO .

I also see each head as a staircase in going up in performance levels. Each have there place on a certain build. What is the build plan/ performance level sought.

Otherwise, this is my take on heads.

I see the Edelbrock head as a excellent street replacement performance head that WAS designed for the small block 340/360 engines. It has the port volume to perform very well on these displacements up to 370-ish cubes before the need to increase/enhance anything on them. Of course you can out build the heads performance level easy enough in a small displacement size engine. Just like with most any head.

I don't know the price or flow specs of the Pro Comp head but they do port out better than an Edelbrock should you need more than 290cfm and at a fatter curve.

The Indy heads (aluminum) are race units.

Brodix heads are falling behind in there offering vs. the others. There currently to expensive and will not port out as well as others in addition to bang vs. the buck.

Careful on what MoPar head you look at and what performance level you intend for it. They have a decent selection. (It used to be much better.)
MoPar sells Edelbrock heads with there logo on it.

There head selection;

W2; The only iron head worth porting for big power. They will out do Edelbrock heads. But will cost more. The valve train can be expensive making it a bit much for the street guy.

W9's are the king of the MoPar heap. Listed to have 300cfm OOTB.
Pricey S.O.B.'s

I would not touch the;
The BP Comando head is a over priced aluminum head. Listed as a "Cheap alternative low cost head vs the exotic heads" and I say Bull Shyst!
The Comando head is a aluminum stock like replacement head. It ain't worth Shyst!

I went with the Eddy Magnum-style heads on my 1970 360... very happy with them. The price was quite reasonable i thought.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm leaning towards a set of prepped RHS's from IMM. Those Pro Comps look intriguing though.

why are you 'upgrading'? what are you trying to do with the car?

I'm upgrading because I'd like to make more power. What I've got now is a mostly stock fresh 340 with intake and carb. I'd like to redo the top end, do a cam swap, bolt on a set of headers, new convertor, and go out and run 12's.

For what you're building I'd rate them this way in terms of cost vs reward vs room to grow:
1) Edelbrock RPMs (LA closed chamber) - good for current build, closed chamber, light weight, reasonable cost with correcting the valve job, uses any rockers, plenty of room to grow should you decide to go faster.

2) RHS heads (IMM would get the knod given your location) - Good for the current build, closed chamber, heavy as hell, reasonable cost, rockers are more expensive, porting further is expensive and there is little to gain with it because they are that good out of the box.

3) Ported X heads. Works with what you have, needs little to work really well, no initial cost, assumes they need a performance valve job, bigger valves, etc etc, less room to grow, heavy, open chamber.

4) Procomp heads. IMO - way too much for what you're doing. lots of room to grow, closed chamber, light weight, but too much port for the current build.

You don't need aftermarket heads to run in the 12's. My buddy just built a .030 340 with trw 10:1s, a MP .474 cam, air gap intake, J heads that were not ported, just had 2.02/1.60 stainless valves put in, and against common sense the guy pulled the LD340 and 750 DP off the car and put a performer and a quadrajet on, it still put 317hp to the rear tires. That'll put pretty much any a body in the 12s.

For what you're building I'd rate them this way in terms of cost vs reward vs room to grow:
1) Edelbrock RPMs (LA closed chamber) - good for current build, closed chamber, light weight, reasonable cost with correcting the valve job, uses any rockers, plenty of room to grow should you decide to go faster.

2) RHS heads (IMM would get the knod given your location) - Good for the current build, closed chamber, heavy as hell, reasonable cost, rockers are more expensive, porting further is expensive and there is little to gain with it because they are that good out of the box.

3) Ported X heads. Works with what you have, needs little to work really well, no initial cost, assumes they need a performance valve job, bigger valves, etc etc, less room to grow, heavy, open chamber.

4) Procomp heads. IMO - way too much for what you're doing. lots of room to grow, closed chamber, light weight, but too much port for the current build.

Thanks. That's a great post!

I've always heard the RHS heads were a better 'bang for the buck' head than the Eddy's. How do the two compare price-wise equally prepped?

..based on a stock stroke 10:1 340 i don't think you'll gain much over the X head unless
you are going with a radical cam....

..based on a stock stroke 10:1 340 i don't think you'll gain much over the X head unless
you are going with a radical cam....

I don't intend to go with too radical of a cam. Just one matched well with the combo.

Thanks for the input. You really don't think the RHS's or Eddy's would perform better than the stock X heads? That's interesting.. Would love to get others' opinions on that...

Personally I like my eddy head 340. However unless you plan for further upgrade (down the road) the x heads will be fine.

What are the real intentions of use of the car?
Is this a 90% street car if so save some money and use the x-heads you have if they are in good shape and choose a cam that keeps your static and dynamic in line with todays pump gas crap.

You can always update the heads later, spend your money on a strong bottom end.
Good rods, pistons etc....

What piston you running are they above deck, you might end up with too much CR with some of those heads choices, if your X heads are ported, the aftermarket heads probably don't flow much more.

Thanks. That's a great post!

I've always heard the RHS heads were a better 'bang for the buck' head than the Eddy's. How do the two compare price-wise equally prepped?

They are. :)

It will cost ~800 more to get an ede in the same range as Brian's RHS head.

Look at the parts that come with them, springs etc. They use the same rockers as any other std LA head. I've bolted on stock, non-adjustable shaft rockers.

OOTB IMM's will make 420HP on a 360 with 9.5:1 and an XE275hl camshaft. Probably real close to the same with a 340.

I say port your X heads and be done with it. For the same money as bare RHS heads you can have someone do a bowl hog, light weight 2.02/1.60 (11/32 stem) valves, port match them and do a comp. valve job. RHS heads are bigger with 179 cc's intake port with 1.92 valves but they are heavier that your X heads and far heavier than either of the 2 aluminum heads. The Procomp and eddy's have the same size port volume 171cc's OTB. Contrary to what some have said. True they are lighter have more potential than the iron heads and are overkill above OTB for your needs. For your cubic inches and intended street use with lower compression and small cam X heads are perfect with some work. But to answer your question I rank them X head, RHS, Procomp and then Eddy for "best bang for your buck".

-
Back