Best battery powered impact wrench?

-

Beatnik

Reaction score
Hey guys, since I dont have a compressor to run air tools, I'm thinking about popping for a cordless impact driver. I've seen everything from Milwaukee for $250 plus at Sears or Home Depot to a $50 Kawasaki cheapo at Pep Boys...

Any thoughts? Also, 1/4" or 1/2"? Seen both available and I dont have impact sockets yet either, so I'm starting from scratch...

Thanks!

My son has used a dewalt for two years on his stock car and wrecker serv.

An electric impact is a good choise if you dont mind drop cords. Then a less expensive battery powered for where the drop cord dont reach would be handy. I'd say 1/2" drive all the way round.
I learned from experience that 6 point impact sockets (even elcheapos) can last a life time. Chrome 12 point sockets are pretty but usually more expensive than impact grade. If I had a dollar for every pretty Craftsman socket I've cracked I could retire. LOL

Thanks guys, yea the DeWalt looks nice! Probably worth the money in the long run and last a lifetime. I think the one at Home Depot was 1/4" drive though? I'll check it out...

Thanks again.

Thanks for the links...I think that's the one I'm going with. Costs more, but I believe you get what you pay for on things like this, I dont want to be buying one every 2yrs...

Beatnik... The company I work for has approx.175 Dewalt drills in the field. Our guys kill alot of batteries. First mistake is don't charge it til its dead. Second mistake ..don't leave it in the charger with the charger unplugged. That's the 2 biggest battery killers we have found. Ron

Beatnik... The company I work for has approx.175 Dewalt drills in the field. Our guys kill alot of batteries. First mistake is don't charge it til its dead. Second mistake ..don't leave it in the charger with the charger unplugged. That's the 2 biggest battery killers we have found. Ron

Well said 1970duster440.:-D and very true!!

I dont leave the battery in the tool or the charger whether its plugged up or not. Two original Dewart batteries have worked well for over 3 years now.

Ingersal Rand (SP?) has a line of cordless inpact drivers in 1/4",3/8",1/2" sizes.Have not checked on pricing,but know it is a good brand.

Makita has a 1/4" inpact driver I always liked for the smaller jobs.

i vote for the snap on impact too, i use mine everyday and ive had no problems. theyre very pricey new, and i know the high end newest version goes for $500 or more. i bought a used older version and it works like a champ... itll cost you more now, but youll be glad you did farther down the road

Thanks guys! I actually went and bought the Craftsmen Professional series 1/2" driver ($280). It's pretty nice I'd say, but that Snap-On is REALLY nice. I noticed too can torque to 400 ft/lbs ! The Craftsmen (and others I looked at) only torque's to about 200 ft/lbs. How many ft/lbs are normal for torquing on lug nuts anway?

I just used my snap-on to tear down the suspension on one side of the wifes 67 Coronet wagon, did the whole tear down and even removed the UBJ from the UCA, all on 1 battery charge.

TopHat

There is actually a manufacturer in Canada that makes knock offs (good ones) for every battery available. I didn't bother to get the address yet but I'll look into and post here ASAP.
I belive that if you're buying one with lithium batteries, no matter the brand you'll do okay. My preference is the Snap-On though (most torque)
Daryl

-
Back