best bolt ons for a 318

-

jhaas63

Reaction score
I want to get the most out of my 318 as possible.

What are the best "bang for your buck" bolts-ons that I could do to add some horsepower to this motor?

Here is what I have so far....

headers, dual exhaust, Edelbrock intake, Holley 600 4 BBl, Mallory electric ignition, flowmaster mufflers, manual valve body 904 and an 8 3/4 rear end with unknown gearing.

Cam, headers (as well as full exhaust), alum 4 bbl intake and carb, Hi flow air filter, a proper tune, upgraded ignition.

Cam, headers (as well as full exhaust), alum 4 bbl intake and carb, Hi flow air filter, a proper tune, upgraded ignition.

added headers and 2 1/2 dual exhaust......performer intake...eddy 600 carb...MP electronic ignition kit...

made the world of difference

Well, lets see, the basics are covered. What intake manifold is it exactly?

Is it a fully converted ignition system? Coil included? Did you open up the plug gaps? You very well could open them up to .055 and still not only run well, but gain a minor amount of mileage. (OK, it's pushing it, and very small, but everything combined should show a gain.)

What fan is in use? The best mechanical fan is a Viscous fan from MP. Or use an electrical fan for less drag on the engine.

I think, from here, knowing your gearing is the next key to the next move. Power or mileage? OH, also, what year is the engine? Is it bone stock now on the inside? (Changed the slugs?)

If your looking for power, the gear ratio and tire size is a starting point to know. Also will you change converters if the need arises? If you have a stock comp. ratio, I do not recomend a cam beyond 228 intake duration @ .050 unless you try to be slick and use Rhodes lifters or something like that.

But certainly a split cam since your heads are stock. About 8*'s more on duration should be right to help that thing breath better.

Oh that 340 cam was a good one back in the day. Popular cam for the 318 in the high school days. We got it from the old guys who used to use that alot.
That cam would fit the system well.

-
Back