Best bolt ons for a small block

-
K@N. I recently built a home made fresh air set up for my snorkel hood, as designed my a Member, w/ a few other Members modifications to their own..., I could not get several of the 14" American Made (big thing to me) filters. Summit had a 2 1/8" high, and a 2 3/8" ..really needed the 2 3/4. Found a 3x14" less than a mile away.. that was cool the K@N open top, needed, kept getting pushed back for months, finally got a Speedway Motors ( Taiwan, but still Woven Cotton. Had to have it to finish the deal. So, Yes, if you can locate the K@N that'll fit, do it!. I put one in my old 5.9 ram, I could hear, and feel.it
Has anybody fabricated a cold air kit that would work with the twin scoops that people put on their darts,etc? I think that it would be a good idea to have those scoops to be made functional. I'm not a fabricator but I was hoping that someone here understands what I'm talking about and if anyone has done it.

Has anybody fabricated a cold air kit that would work with the twin scoops that people put on their darts,etc? I think that it would be a good idea to have those scoops to be made functional. I'm not a fabricator but I was hoping that someone here understands what I'm talking about and if anyone has done it.
72demon2go did one... that's my interpretation of it. No where near as classy, and I altered the " blueprints" using a 18" round cake pan, I'll be cutting the entire " triangle " out ,as the PO already screwed the "original, lol, my ***" holes

20211027_004718.jpg

20211101_014158.jpg

20210904_143333.jpg

It will, used clay for checking clearance. Please give 72demon2go credit, AND, use his, and the other Members here, specs. The 18" round, 3 " deep pan worked for me..,( Fat Daddys, online, bout 30 bucks, sent to your door, USA Made) size, that's about all I changed. But his Post, is Very Detailed, and I wouldn't have had it that easy, if not for him, and some other people's various ways of modding!

I also used an offset base, not a drop base, as to clear my linkage, and center the new " airbox"

I tried to look up the thread/post but only found;
The following members could not be found: 72demon2go

14 inch air cleaner with aluminum sheet riveted to the base. Moroso foam. Boxed some of the bracing on the hood so the skin would be less fluttery.

duster 11-26-21 091.JPG

duster 11-26-21 088.JPG

Since I'm not going for a high horsepower build, would midlength headers be good for my application?

I'm sure, but how's it's street manners and do you have to tune that set up often. Doug's headers wouldn't interfere with the plugs

I should have included the ":poke:" note the distributor.
You may want to consider a tunnel ram though.
And there is a thread for a 6-71 setup for sale as well.

A tunnel ram for low to midrange torque, thought they are more top end. I'm building a car for cruising, which probably won't see much high rpm's

I don't think that tunnel rams and blowers are a practical thing for a mild built daily driver. Plus blowers increase the cost of the build.

What's the best curve kit available? I'm thinking about using a 0.050" plug gap, what's a good spark plug these days?
Talk with Don at FBO (4secondsflat.com) but have your combination of parts sorted out first. A .050 gap is to much for the stock ignition but pretty good for a MSD or like set up.

A tunnel ram for low to midrange torque, thought they are more top end. I'm building a car for cruising, which probably won't see much high rpm's
Like exhaust, the long runner will help to create torque and the straight shot helps a bunch for great air and fuel mixing. Tunnel Rams can be used on massive power house engines or mile builds.

I don't think that tunnel rams and blowers are a practical thing for a mild built daily driver. Plus blowers increase the cost of the build.
Aside from cost, yes they are, IF you don’t mind a pair of carbs sticking out of the hood. On a blower, they can actually help mileage since there helping the engine breath easier by taking away the normal vacuum draw in or the air and fuel into a forced one. A very low boost, 1-2-3 pounds of boost relieves the engine of the minor stress AND if you can keep your throttle foot out of the throttle.

Would I build it purposely for that? Oh heck no!

I'm hoping to check out a car after Thanksgiving. Supposedly it has a recent rebuilt 318, it has a 2 barrel carburetor and dual exhaust. If it's what I'm told it is it would be awesome, what would be easy bolt on modifications? I plan on keeping it simple for now.
How did this thread turn into a discussion about blowers and tunnel rams for the OP's mild 318 2 barrel he is looking at?

How did this thread turn into a discussion about blowers and tunnel rams for the OP's mild 318 2 barrel he is looking at?
Some how when I asked about a good carburetor / intake combination, tunnel rams and blowers got brought up. I plan on getting a new carb and intake manifold but a tunnel ram is way out of my budget not to mention the performance goal

I truly appreciate everyone's help, but my intentions of this build is just to have a nice car for cruising that happens to have a little extra zip when I want it to. I have a budget to work with and that's all I can do, that's why I'm wanting the combination to work together and not have to buy the same part twice because it wasn't what I needed for my application

Some how when I asked about a good carburetor / intake combination, tunnel rams and blowers got brought up. I plan on getting a new carb and intake manifold but a tunnel ram is way out of my budget not to mention the performance goal
318 2 barrel? Put a 600 4 barrel on with a adapter or a intake if you wish. Keep the exhaust manifolds and add a dual exhaust and have someone like Halifaxhops set you up with a performance distributor advance curve. The stock convertor will be fine and depending on what rear end you have, a gear change makes it peppier. (3.23-3.55 depending on rear tire size) Any other modifications to a stock low compression teen are either a waste of time or money unless (unless) you want to build the engine from the ground up.

318 2 barrel? Put a 600 4 barrel on with a adapter or a intake if you wish. Keep the manifolds and add a dual exhaust and have someone like Halifaxhops set you up with a performance distributor advance curve. THe stock convertor will be fine and depending on what rear end you have, a gear change makes it peppier. (3.23-3.55 depending on rear tire size) ANy other modifications to a stock low compression teen are either a waste of time or money unless (unless) you want to build the engine from the ground up.
I'm going to do a rebuild rather if it's a 318 or a 360. Will be increasing the compression, little more cam, stock heads with 2.02's for a 360 and 1.88's for a 318 comp valve job and back cut the valve's, headers and good dual exhaust system, have the distributor set up, will use a gm 4 pin module and matching coil. Gears, 3.23's or 3.55's. Will this package get me a decent performing engine or am I going the wrong way?

-
Back