Best carb intake setup?

-

AG340Dart

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a stock 1970 340 from a cuda i am going to transplant it into my 72 swinger with a 4 speed, just looking for sugestions for a carb and intake setup?
thanks....

RPM or equal dual plane intake and I like Carter styled carbs. AVS in particular.

What is the target goal?
Gear ratio?
Doing headers?

8.75 Sure Grip 4:11 I have the stock exhaust manifolds but will probablly add headers Dougs or TTI, Target goal would be to get as much power out of the motor without taking it apart, motor was freshend up recently and runs strong but is completly stock as far as i know. Car is being prepped for paint motor and trans are out of the car so i was thinking about updating the motor while it is out looking for advice on upgrades? thanks...

LD340, Performer RPM or Air Gap

If it's mostly street driven, I like the 750 Vac secondary holley. Mostly track, a 750 double pumper

LD 340 or performer rpm & with a 4 spd, 800 cfm eddy eps with thermal spacer.

Oldschoolcuda

A generic recommendation would be an LD340 dual plane intake and
a 700-750cfm double pumper holley.

If I knew exactly how you drive it then maybe I could provide a better recommendation.

If your one of those guy's that likes to 'burn rubber' or 'revs the motor at stop lights then putts away in idle' then a 318 sized carb like 600-650cfm would be fine.

What cam?
What gear?

Car is a 4 speed... 4:11s... stock cam?? Car should pull real hard its not going to be raced at a track ... But i will pushing her pretty hard when i take her out on runs to the grocery store... just want to make sure i get a big enough carb and intake now to handle mechanical upgrades which i may do later.

Assuming the factory carb and intake are on this 340, and the cam is stock, you are not going to see huge gains by a swap. The factory parts really aren't too bad.

If it was mine, I'd probably use a Performer RPM and an 800 AVS. This would be more than adequate for a stock 340 and support a cam swap down the road.

Given what you have said about the car and its intended use, IMO a dual plane manifold with an air valve secondary 4-bbl would be most satisfactory. With stock internals and not a lot of track use, recommend 600 - 650 cfm. Sure, you can go bigger and get more power, but around town throttle response will suffer.

I agree that a dual-plane, vacuum secondary carb combination would probably work well for you in your application.

I had a 360 with a mild cam and installed a Holley 3310 (750cfm vac. secondary) on a Crosswind (Professional Products) manifold. It was a great combination with no "flat spots" and the secondary operation was so seamless, you couldn't even tell when the back barrels opened up. It ran low 13's with stock 340 exhaust manfolds.

The Edelbrock Air Gap is $249.00 at Summit; the Crosswind Chinese knockoff is about a hundred dollars less for a very similar design. Summit doesn't sell Professional Products, so if you want the Chinese manifold, you'll have to look elsewhere. I've had mine for 2 years+ and have had zero issues with it. The Crosswind has both L-A and Magnum bolt holes (plugs are provided for the unused holes), so one size fits all...

You pays your money and you takes your choice. When I bought mine, Edelbrock hadn't shipped any Magnum Air Gaps yet (my motor is a 360 Magnum), so, I bought what I could get at the time, and it's worked very well. I needed a manifold...

Hope this helps.

Bill

OK, i think you all prefer the edelbrock air gap intake but does anyone runs a summit own brand intake? They look very cheap to me but are they worth their money?

OK, i think you all prefer the edelbrock air gap intake but does anyone runs a summit own brand intake? They look very cheap to me but are they worth their money?

Nothing but a "chinese ripoff" buy the real one buy the Edelbrock..the summit brand are cheaper for a reason...

I agree that a dual-plane, vacuum secondary carb combination would probably work well for you in your application.

I had a 360 with a mild cam and installed a Holley 3310 (750cfm vac. secondary) on a Crosswind (Professional Products) manifold. It was a great combination with no "flat spots" and the secondary operation was so seamless, you couldn't even tell when the back barrels opened up. It ran low 13's with stock 340 exhaust manfolds.

The Edelbrock Air Gap is $249.00 at Summit; the Crosswind Chinese knockoff is about a hundred dollars less for a very similar design. Summit doesn't sell Professional Products, so if you want the Chinese manifold, you'll have to look elsewhere. I've had mine for 2 years+ and have had zero issues with it. The Crosswind has both L-A and Magnum bolt holes (plugs are provided for the unused holes), so one size fits all...

You pays your money and you takes your choice. When I bought mine, Edelbrock hadn't shipped any Magnum Air Gaps yet (my motor is a 360 Magnum), so, I bought what I could get at the time, and it's worked very well. I needed a manifold...

Hope this helps.

Bill

there´s one on ebay, number 250343557377

-
Back