Best CFM carb for a 416????

-
850 to 1050 I tried all. the most important thing is use a 4 corner idle ciruit carb and keep the primaries below the transfer slots. If you have to you can idle off of the secondaries.This is the reason for four corner as choice. I had a Proform 950 and a BLP 1000. The 1000 would only work right with 850 holley meter blocks. The variable emulssion jets were delivering to much fuel in the mid. I am now running a Quickfuel 1050 out of the box backed out air screws 1/2 turn its the best its been for all round street driving. They all performed the same on the top. It was the mid that was the problem.

Call Jesse at Bigs performance .
715 864 9427 cell Or email [email protected]
He did a 4150 750 DB for my 416 . He gave me one hell of
A deal for my carb. Just ask for Jesse super nice guy

Mshred - I'm not jumping all over him. I have a lot of respect for his work, and that 408 is a great example. However, IMO, the OP's engine is only reeally similar in terms of iron block LA based... Therefore the results he got on the one that was referred to - is a poor comparison. That's what I meant by "it won't mean ****". Sorry if that shut down the thread.

Mshred - I'm not jumping all over him. I have a lot of respect for his work, and that 408 is a great example. However, IMO, the OP's engine is only reeally similar in terms of iron block LA based... Therefore the results he got on the one that was referred to - is a poor comparison. That's what I meant by "it won't mean ****". Sorry if that shut down the thread.

Moper, maybe I misread it, my apologies...It's just not all that often we have builders posting dyno tests and changes anymore, reputable builders at that..There is a ton to be learned from that build, especially the fact that most of it may not apply to the OP's build, which is one of the great things about tests like that- evaluating what was used and whether it would work for what you are doing. I'll leave that to Brian though since he is the expert

Like I said, I for one LOVE when builders like Brian post up their proven results and explain changes they made and how they affected power/curves...Discussion and questioning of the results are great, but if people are trying to disprove things, those builders will stop posting what they find. After all, they are doing US a favor in allowing us to see what certain combos will produce

For the OP, look back by searching post by OU812 and read the rhs headed 410 from about 2 years ago. There are a few threads. The last update a 750dp was swapped to a 950hp on the 485hp. The change was in the 5-8hp range.

Draw a correlation or extrapolate from that what you will. It's not uncommon for stuff in the 500hp range to pick up 5+ hp with this swap. Some make more...

i appreciate builders posting their testing as well, thats a no brainer.. obviously the point of a few posts in this thread was missed .
But back to reality, there are no experts in this game...its a constant learning curve.

I have a great app for my i phone that I use when this comes up. So far it has worked for me. On my 372 stroker I was running a Holley 750 set up by a carb shop. The car ran well but I discovered the throttle shaft had a lot of slop in it. It was getting worn in other areas so I decided it was time for a new carb. I used this app and plugged in a 95% VE, with a trap RPM of 6612. That's also where the motor made peak horsepower. The app said I needed a 676 cfm carb. I bought a Demon from 4 seconds flat set up by Don. The car responded very well and pulls harder in second & high gear. I have not been able to get back to the track to confirm my results but seat of the pants says the 650 was the winner. Don at FBO also confirmed the 650 size for running on the street. I plugged in your numbers exactly the same as mine (I don't know your peak HP or trap info) and it suggested a 767 carb. I am very happy with the Demon, it has good street manners. I'm sure my car could go faster if I slapped a larger carb on but I also care about driveability. Just my 2 cents and in todays economy its worth about 1.5 cents. Good luck with your project.

Attachments

• PA170175.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 161
  • PA180194.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 131
-
Back