best dist shaft bronze bushing

-
They are all pretty much the same made out of oil lite. You talking inside the distributor? I have seen steel also kind of plated with oilight or bronze? They usually are worn out.

The most important is sizing it after installation. They usually tighten up. Make sure you size it with a reamer. Measure your shaft and use the correct reamer. . Getting oil between the two is critical. I see many that the shafts are destroyed that come into my sons machine shop. Most were home built race engines to get freshened and had new bushings and shafts when built. The bronze gear shafts get expensive.

Totally agree with that then I have a burnisher for them. to lock the bushing in. Not a cheap tool for what it does. You would be amazed at stuff that is sent to me.
th23-1.jpg

You mean this? I bought an MP one from local Dodge store. Not sure if available anymore. Milodon? Make sure to get one with hardened shaft.

mopar-oil-pump-driveshaft-distributor-gear-31.gif

I like the Dura-bond AD584 bushing. Degrease the bore in the block, use Loctite retaining compound, tap it in, check that shaft fitment is good, and roll. YRMV

here is the installation tool my son uses from (Proform Factory Performance) it installs the bushing and cuts it to size as its installed.

100_0031.JPG

100_0032.JPG

100_0035.JPG

I have the proper tool, but most aftermarket bushings, Melling, Durabond and such are already sized. Once installed, they are already the proper size. Just install them, drop the intermediate shaft in and go.

When Direct Connection [ now MP ] started selling parts, I bought the chrome moly intermediate shaft. And used it with a factory bronze bush. Bad mistake. I was doing a lot of drag racing then, changing cams often.
CM is a hard metal, but not hardened. The original factory shaft was hardened steel, like a shaft out of a gearbox. The bronze bush chewed up the softer CM shaft. I only use alum bushes with the CM shaft.

When Direct Connection [ now MP ] started selling parts, I bought the chrome moly intermediate shaft. And used it with a factory bronze bush. Bad mistake. I was doing a lot of drag racing then, changing cams often.
CM is a hard metal, but not hardened. The original factory shaft was hardened steel, like a shaft out of a gearbox. The bronze bush chewed up the softer CM shaft. I only use alum bushes with the CM shaft.

Where do you source the aluminum ones. I've never seen them here...

I have owned BB engines that had them from the factory.

I have the proper tool, but most aftermarket bushings, Melling, Durabond and such are already sized. Once installed, they are already the proper size. Just install them, drop the intermediate shaft in and go.
Thats good news because I have two new ones installed and just assumed they were ready to use.

-
Back