Best Engine Bearing brand ??

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I am taking my slant six down because it did run when I got it but who knows how old or what the story is. So I figured since it is getting a new permanent home in my 63 valiant wagon I would take it down and do a basic "overhaul" and see if what is in the engine has a story.

I found a tag on the engine that said "remanufactured" and had the company name and number and an ID number.

I called the company and they said the ID number was too low of a number and there was no record anymore for an engine build that old.

Ok, now the puzzle has the first piece.

I assume they decked the block because the engine ID numbers on the top edge of the block appear to be machined off. Maybe decking is a standard practice in engine remanufacturing to ensure no problems with the head mating surface??

so today I took the crank out to examine the bearings and I find Clevite 77 bearing with 1992 and 1993 dates. The mains are .030 undersize and the rods .020 under.

the crank looks ok, like it could get away with just a polishing and new bearings, I don't really see any wear marks to justify turning it again.

problem is, I look up the clevite part number and nothing comes up......

Summit racing has bearings that would fit but they are "king engine bearing" brand and they have a groove which the old ones do not.

any thoughts ??

CIMG0284.JPG

CIMG0285.JPG

I have always heard that it is best to run tri-metal (alloys containing: lead-tin-zinc or copper-tin-zinc) bearing on older steel cranks,, as steel cranks and tri-metal bearings were developed together, Clevite 77 (Mahle) is a great tri-metal bearing
And on cast cranks,, bi-metal (alloys containing aluminum-nickel or aluminum-copper) bearings are the best choice, King is a good choice for bi-metal bearings. Mahle also does bi-metal but probably not under the Clevite 77 brand.

Whether the bearings are from King, Mahle or Federal Mogul, for an application like yours with a steel crank, I would want a tri-metal bearing, as that what was in use when that crank was engineered.

I've used King bearings a couple times, never had a problem. Same can be said for TRW/Clevite/Speed Pro, always worked fine. In fact, the only time I had a short bearing life problem, it was assembly buffoonery on my part, not the fault of the bearings.

I'm a big believer of full groove mains on street motors (as well as cutting in the oiling notch on rod bearings if need be).

Sealed Power 4092M is the part number for mains, and 62375CP for rods. Clevite "CL-77" type tri-metal. These are typical half groove mains, it would take two sets to make a full groove set.

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with Clevite, but I also have one motor with Speed Pro without any issues.

I've used King, Clevite, Sealed Power, Speed Pro, etc and no issues with parts that are machined correctly and checked.

King is a fine brand. Not a thing wrong with them.

Summit racing has bearings that would fit but they are "king engine bearing" brand and they have a groove which the old ones do not.

any thoughts ??

View attachment 1715044393

View attachment 1715044394

The mains should have at least a groove in the upper half. Personally, I use full groove mains, but I groove the lower half, myself. The rods do not have a groove.
Any brand name bearing will be fine for a street driver slant. Just make sure the clearence is correct.

Slant six will run on wax paper!!:rofl: Those engines are so forgiving. As long as clearances are correct you will be fine with any brand really. It gets critical with high output high winding motors!

I completely rebuilt my 225 and got it running last fall. I went with an all-in-one kit but subbed s couple items. Ordered through my machinist who said they allow him to substitute up to 3 items. Pistons were Silv-o-lite, rings were Hastings and the bearings were King. My machinist started doing this in 1962, cool old guy, and he said the King bearings were good. Good enough for me.

I doubt I'll wind this 4-1/8 stroke slant over 5000 and it won't be punished much unless my son drives it again. He was the first to put the pedal to the metal. Hey kid, it ain't that kind of car.

-
Back