Best fitting Exhaust manifolds for a 340 in a 66 barracuda

-

bmw88rider

Reaction score
So I'm in the process of getting the parts together to build up the 1973 340 block we have.

The car it will go into is a 1966 Barracuda with the 904 and power steering.

I know it's basically a smaller cubic inch 360 by that point and I'm not looking for 400+ HP out of the build. I just want a nice cruiser motor that could be mistaken for factory by the unknowing.

Any recommendations for Factory Exhaust manifolds for it?

Also, If I want to keep the radiator setup the same, Can i just transfer over the timing cover, Water Pump, Brackets, etc. from the current 273 on to the new motor?

Sorry for the newb questions. Still learning my way around the mopar world.

Im not sure about the 340, but on the 360 Im running in my 66 fish with power steering, the factory manifolds fit.. should, key word SHOULD be the same with the 340... as far as the front of the motor goes I have no idea

The timing chain cover, water pump, brackets AND damper can be transferred for the timing markers to work. I put my 340 engine in sister-in-laws 66 Barracuda with manual steering.

depends on if it has power steering or not...and on later model heads with the smog holes below the exhaust port the 273 manifols will not work on drivers side, 340 hi po manifolds will not work on drivers side with power steering

Good deal on the front dress. That is what I thought and that confirms it. Thanks Viper and AMX.

I'll have to see what exhaust manifolds my dad has for it. I'm excited to go and gather up everything and start to get it all together. Should wake the old fish up nicely.

The timing chain cover, water pump, brackets AND damper can be transferred for the timing markers to work. I put my 340 engine in sister-in-laws 66 Barracuda with manual steering.

He's running a 73 340, he won't be able to use a dampner from an earlier 273, he'll need a dampner from a cast crank motor! He could remark his existing one!

Ill be running this same year 340 in my 66 project, it'll be interesting to follow!!

I ran a set of 71 or 72 A-body I think) 340 exhaust manifolds on my 318 w/360 heads in my 65 Barracuda. I had manual steering and had to grind on the manifold just a little to clear the steering knuckle(less than a 1/8th inch just to make sure) and put a torque strap on the drivers side to keep motor from twisting too much and binding on the knuckle. Also had to get a exhaust guy to custom bend a lead pipe out of the drivers side. It worked well for 10 years till I sold the car and looked stock from the top. Hope this helps.

He's running a 73 340, he won't be able to use a dampner from an earlier 273, he'll need a dampner from a cast crank motor! He could remark his existing one!

Ill be running this same year 340 in my 66 project, it'll be interesting to follow!!
Yep. The only way to run a 273 damper is to have internals neutral balanced when it is rebuilt.

If it were me I would leave the t case cover and damper from 73 on there, bolt on the early timing tab and mark it using the old timing marks from 73.

My 73 340 motor had a forged crank instead of a cast crank. I did not except that as all that I had read about was a cast crank that year.

My 73 340 motor had a forged crank instead of a cast crank. I did not except that as all that I had read about was a cast crank that year.

May have already been changed?? I believe 4-10-72 was the changeover date from forged to cast! Never say never though!!

Yep. The only way to run a 273 damper is to have internals neutral balanced when it is rebuilt.

If it were me I would leave the t case cover and damper from 73 on there, bolt on the early timing tab and mark it using the old timing marks from 73.

I think that he has to use the early 273 timing cover so the cast iron water pump won't interfere.

I would say, use the 273 timing cover, cast iron water pump and the original 340 vibration damper and just remark the timing marks on the original 340 damper for the old style 273 timing marks.

Krazy,

I was already thinking of doing exactly that because I forgot about the dampener till just now too.

I have a brand new radiator with the driver's side lower connection and I really do not want to have to replace it or run a long mess of hoses.

I'll have all of the parts in a month for 340. I'll just grab everything off the 273 we have and then test fit everything before I start painting and powdercoating everything. Both engines are there to grab the parts off of.

I run early iron water pumps on late timming covers all the time with no interference.
pic of iron pump W/bolt on timing tab 73 340 timing cover and dampener.

Attachments

• 2014-02-10_19-38-41_853.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 309
-
Back