Best gaskets for 340

-

dancinwulf

Reaction score
I am going to pull the heads to take a look at the valves and pistons on a 340 I bought was wondering what the best gaskets were to replace the heads and intake. I have had good luck with Felpro in the past on my 318 but not sure on the higher compression of a 340 have been told the Mopar OEM ones are good as well is there specific thickness on the higher compression heads or are they all the same.

I've always had good luck with Felpro..the intake gaskets part #ms90109..head gaskets #8553pt you'll need to order 2 they're sold individually..

Ditto ^^^^

I have also used Mr. Gasket , Detroit baskets and MP as well with excellent results.
Really the key is clean surfaces, proper installation and torque applied in sequence.

The only thing about gasket kits is the often unknown head gasket specs. That bothers the crap out of me. Sometimes you need a certain size for a reason. Like zero deck pistons and closed chambered heads.

I like fel-pro. Been using them for decades with great success...

Thanks to all for the advice there are two different felpro gaskets 1008 and the 8553 any ideas on if one if better than the other they say both are made for 340 but not sure if one is for high compression and the other standard

Thanks to all for the advice there are two different felpro gaskets 1008 and the 8553 any ideas on if one if better than the other they say both are made for 340 but not sure if one is for high compression and the other standard

The 1008 gasket has the wire ring in the gasket around the combustion chamber and is generally considered the better gasket. They are not cheap though.

Duane

At this point I just want to do it the best way the first time I hate having to do something over that could have been done right the first time with the right stuff

The 8553 are about 50 thousands of an inch thick. The 1008's are 39 thousands thick

Great luck with Mr. Gasket/ Detroit (in the day...)/ Fel Pro. Also had good luck with Remflex/Percy's ,for exhaust gaskets....

I blew the skinny Orange ones(.020?) out, at 11.2 Static/8.7 Dcr.
The 8553s didnt fare well either.
The 1008s have been reused several times and are surviving 10.7Static/8.6Dcr quite well.

IIRC Felpro makes the chrysler brand ones. I've used Felpro for most of my builds without an issue. I'm using Cometic for my current 340 build.

the 8553pt is a better and thicker than stock replacement gasket for all years 340. the 1008 is the even better race and $ for higher than stock comp. ratio and boosted engines. the race intake gasket that is better for aluminum intakes is 1213, the mopar orange .026" thick p4120094 gasket is thinner than the fel pros and closer to stock, good for maintaning comp. ratio

-
Back