Best hooking street tires?

-
I run a set of M/T Sportsman Pros(D.O.T. wrinklewalls ) (26x12.50x15) screwed to the rims and running 22-24 psi of air and they hook great on the average street surface. But they are a soft compound and I will probably only get 2 summers out of them

M/T ET Street Radials.

IM000530.jpg

i think M/T are the best tires for the street, almost all of the fastest streetcars anound here run M/T but those cars are 8second monsters running ET street or ET drag tires (yes i mean streetcars they are both driven and raced on the streets and will be driven pretty long distances on the street in one night) but those tires are not something i would recomend anyone to drive with on the street...
i have only heard good things about MT ET street radials as street tires with good bite and good manners on the street

I got caught in the rain with them. I took my time and was ok.

I am actually very impressed with the Yokohamas I just put on my Dart a few weeks ago, very nice sticky tire. Probably dosn't compare to a MT but I use mine on the street not the strip, so if I go to the strip again I will be putting on some slicks. But for the street these bad boys rock both in acceleration and cornering adhesion. Just a 245/60 15 but hooks really nice. They also have 2 rain grooves kinda like the aqua tread had from goodyear. I don't drive much in the rain but I think they will be just fine even in heavy rain. Only $64 a tire from the tire rack also.

OUTLAW said:
I run a set of M/T Sportsman Pros(D.O.T. wrinklewalls ) (26x12.50x15) screwed to the rims and running 22-24 psi of air and they hook great on the average street surface. But they are a soft compound and I will probably only get 2 summers out of them

I ran the 26x10.5x15 M/T Sportsman Pros (soft compound) on a 440, 4 spd, B-body car and was very impressed with how they hooked. I NEVER had any traction problems even with 32 psi. They didn't handle as good as a set of radials would, but I wasn't interested in going around corners at the time :thumbup:

I got caught out in the rain the other night and they seemed ok in the rain but I don't slam corners either --but they have lots of tread and seem to get along well in rain and snow (had to drive once last winter in snow to get gas)

mini-Picture001.jpg

Not sure about the hookup part, but when I need new shoes I think I'm gonna spring for the M/T Sportsman Radials. They just look mean:

sportsman_sr_rear.jpg

I'm thinking a set of 26x10x15s would look awesome on the back of the Dart.

Goodrich claims their drag radials have run the quickest et than anyone in one of their ads, but do you believe everything you read? I guessing if you go with drag radials all of the brands (Hoosier, M/T, Goodrich etc.) will be pretty much the same for traction. As far as regular street tires, I haven't raced on them in years. When I did, I ran Goodyear Eagles ST's and ran 12.70's, then went to slicks and ran 12.50's so the Goodyears did a pretty good job.

Did you ever think that when you pull new times AFTER you get new tires its all a mental thing .. and actually is just how you drive.. thinking its the tires making th difference..

you know like getting your hair cut.. you think your heads lighter??

whats with that??? :wack:

silly people trix are for kids :toothy7:

and fords are for retards.. but on a serious note.. never drive a chevy..

:wav:

Im running 235s BFG drag radials and with 3.91s and SS leafs on my Dart I really have alot of trouble even getting them to squeal with the rather tame 318 I have. I just purchaced a 438 stroker motor from Shady Dell Speed Shop though and I am going to be faced with 580 ft lbs of torque... I suspect my current tires wont be adequate :toothy7:

lol...Your rearend won't be adequate either if you don't change it with that big stroker.

Years ago...(84-86) I used to street race my 70 340 Duster with all muscle. 430s w/ posi and a pinion snubber and the super stock springs 02 and 03. The tires I would use then were called Super Stock Formula 1s (Don't know who made them) in a raised white letter. Since then i joined the military and recently bought a different 70 340 Duster. This time as a restore. Looked up those old tires cause I used to swear by them. I can't find then Anymore. But man I used to stand on the accelerator pedal and could not get them to spin with a 15x8 Traditional centerline and like I read here drilled rims to bolt thru the wheel to the tire. Back then was a consistent 12.90 @ 107mph car. That sucker would dman wring your neck. I mean just flat leave....I miss my street car!!!!! Has anyone ever seen these tires since then??????

Vortex said:
lol...Your rearend won't be adequate either if you don't change it with that big stroker.

Yeah I am kinda worried about that, it does have the 742 center section which is pretty beefy from what I hear. I am hoping itll live if I just dont hit it too hard off the line.

hoosier QTP for me... they got me 1.6 sixty foots and brought the front tire off the ground a couple inches..

krabysniper said:
I am actually very impressed with the Yokohamas I just put on my Dart a few weeks ago, very nice sticky tire. Probably dosn't compare to a MT but I use mine on the street not the strip, so if I go to the strip again I will be putting on some slicks. But for the street these bad boys rock both in acceleration and cornering adhesion. Just a 245/60 15 but hooks really nice. They also have 2 rain grooves kinda like the aqua tread had from goodyear. I don't drive much in the rain but I think they will be just fine even in heavy rain. Only $64 a tire from the tire rack also.

hey krabysniper, what front rims are you useing, also what offset do they have?

also how much do you have for cleareance in the front

thanks

I make to much power to get any type of traction with
245/40/18 Nitto 555streets

Will be going with a Bfg or mickey T drag radail soon. (Nitto doesn't make the size I need.)

I have a 5.0L mustang running nitto drag radails and haven't had a problem hooking them up yet, but it dont make near the same power as the dart.
(at least not yet)

Its going to be hard to get any 245/40/18 to hook. Theres no side wall to cushion the blow.. Good for corners but not good for all out traction.

I just put on a set of ET Street Radial's from Mickey Thompson. I am very satisfied! The car drives great & hooks hard. I ran 20lbs in them. They are P255/60r-15 on 8 in wheels. I also have a set of M/T drag slicks. They work as good as those. Does anybody have any idea how long these last?

Seems like the M/T E/T street radials, and tires like them, work well on cars that run as quick as low 12's in the 1/4 mile. I have seen an occasional high 11 second pass with these tires, but the chassis was set up just right in order to make them work. I gave up and just tubbed it and put some meat under the back end. Traction issues solved... (for now) lol Let us know what you end up doing and how it works out for you.... Oldschool

I have 235/60 15s now, with 2.45 gears and open diff....and I roast that back tire on accident A LOT (like at 1500 rpms). Suregrip will help, but stepping to 3.55s I'm sure will mean no grippy for me on these BFGs.I'm running 15x8 draglites, so I'm going to stuff the largest tire I can back there.

-
Back