Best Knife for USMC graduation gift?

-

goldfish65

Reaction score
Is a knife a good gift? That's my idea, any suggestions the best quality/most useful knife? Thanks for any input.

Yes, a knife can be an excellent gift. I take it your saying he is graduating boot? If so, keep in mind that if he resides on post that they can't keep weapons in the barracks. A straight blade would be out of the question. A nice Kershaw lock blade around 2.5 - 3" pocket knife. They make some really nice 1 of 1000 blades for that extra touch. Pocket knifes are very personal - balance, fit, finish for you is different for me. Good luck

I'm prejudiced, but I like Leatherman tools. As above, I'd try and check what they can carry. When I was in the Navy, you could get yourself a "TL-29" which was a horrid club of a thing and a damn poor knife, but it WAS legal

On a side note I found this, indicating "current issue" (who knew LOL?) they were a Klein electricians knife model 1550-2

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/874743-Current-Issue-U-S-Navy-TL-29

Mine resembled this thing. Not really good for much, LMAO. You certainly could not pick a sticker out of your finger with it!!!

products_2603_1_large.jpg

How about a flag display case? Here's a photo of mine with the extra room for decorations. I gave one like this to my neice when she graduated from the Navy Academy (she's a Marine Corps pilot now). I loaded it with a Navy coin and a 5'X 8' US flag and a brass plaque with her name, graduation year and USNA on it. She can add her new ranks, decorations and medals in it as she earns them throughout her career.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 224
X3 on Kershaw. Have had a black colt 2 for over 20 years.good little knife

:thumbup: I like your idea of a knife -- Whatever 1 you choose, get it engraved. Makes it more personal & they'll always remember you gave it to them...

Maybe one with the blood of a dead terrorist on it.

This is a custom knife owned by a friend and worn around the neck. Small but lethal..

Attachments

• 10881548_4927502400814_1872278185393248025_n.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 162
I take it your saying he is graduating boot? If so, keep in mind that if he resides on post that they can't keep weapons in the barracks. A straight blade would be out of the question. A nice Kershaw lock blade around 2.5 - 3" pocket knife.

Thank you, I was wondering what the rules were.

:thumbup: I like your idea of a knife -- Whatever 1 you choose, get it engraved. Makes it more personal & they'll always remember you gave it to them...

Thanks C, I want his name engraved so he might get it back if he misplaces is.

Kershaw Leek here. Was a spiderco guy for a long time but lovebthe Leek

Here's the one I'm leaning towards...http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KZJLDHK/?tag=joeychgo-20

for a Marine, the only knife is a tried and true K-Bar......Semper Fi

I thought so too, maybe I'll get him the K-Bar down the road, since I gather a straight blade isn't allowed in the barracks.

I thought so too, maybe I'll get him the K-Bar down the road, since I gather a straight blade isn't allowed in the barracks.[/QUOTE]

What a depressing thought, a Marine can not have the knife that defined Marines for so long in the barracks....

I just retired from the military and it is a good thing getting way to "sensitive" for me.

Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it.

I'm going to stick with my first idea and get him the knife. I read a bunch of posts on military forums and most guys cited the K-Bar as being too heavy and not handy for everyday use. I'm going to suggest he gets a Leatherman "Wave" too.

-
Back