Best magnum heads?

-
As far as I know they are all the same Chinese casting. And they are pretty capable if done by a reputable shop with quality parts

Good question. What's the application?

For a mild street build I'd look for a set of OEM castings and clean them up.

I have a set now, but one cylinder has a bad valve leak. I was looking at Indy MA-X heads, but havent heard much about them.

Not sure, I'm going to their swap meet in next weekend. I was going to talk to them there.

If you end up getting the Indy heads, I'm selling their matching magnum intake/throttle bracket in the For Sale section. Save yourself $200

Last edited:
the MA-X would be the best bet i think, pretty good head. Or some Magnum R/T´s.....both not easy to find unfortunately.

if you can find them, I would also look for a set of the EQ heads flow wise they are supposed to be better than the new Chinese cast ones. The EQ are not being made anymore so you will have to find a used set etc. the Indy magnum 360 intake works great. I have been a best of 11.24 in the 1/4 with it so far on my Pro Junk yard 360 magnum engine in my 91 Dakota sport. its problay over kill for a mild 360 magnum build, but you can also use the new trickflow heads on the magnum motor, just have to use push rod oiling on the i think 94/95 and up magnum motors and you dont have to use the $1000 Harland sharp rockers if you dont want too. I have the 190cc Trickflow heads on my 2000 360 magnum engine, i am useing 1.6 PRW billet steel rockers and smith brother oil through push rods. but mine set up is over kill for what it sounds like what the op wants to do.

if you can find them, I would also look for a set of the EQ heads flow wise they are supposed to be better than the new Chinese cast ones. The EQ are not being made anymore so you will have to find a used set etc. the Indy magnum 360 intake works great. I have been a best of 11.24 in the 1/4 with it so far on my Pro Junk yard 360 magnum engine in my 91 Dakota sport. its problay over kill for a mild 360 magnum build, but you can also use the new trickflow heads on the magnum motor, just have to use push rod oiling on the i think 94/95 and up magnum motors and you dont have to use the $1000 Harland sharp rockers if you dont want too. I have the 190cc Trickflow heads on my 2000 360 magnum engine, i am useing 1.6 PRW billet steel rockers and smith brother oil through push rods. but mine set up is over kill for what it sounds like what the op wants to do.
EQ still sells cast iron Magnum heads under the same part numbers, but they are no longer the bigger port head everyone liked for performance applications. They are another Chinese stock replacement style head. Anyone searching for EQ heads needs to know what they are looking at. The heads with large machined flats on the front and rear surface and no core plugs are the older better Australian or New Zealand castings that are excellent. The heads that look more factory and have core plugs in the front and rear surfaces with NO large flat machined surface are the Chinese version currently available.

EQ still sells cast iron Magnum heads under the same part numbers, but they are no longer the bigger port head everyone liked for performance applications. They are another Chinese stock replacement style head. Anyone searching for EQ heads needs to know what they are looking at. The heads with large machined flats on the front and rear surface and no core plugs are the older better Australian or New Zealand castings that are excellent. The heads that look more factory and have core plugs in the front and rear surfaces with NO large flat machined surface are the Chinese version currently available.
Thanks for the info.

Eq casting, 2.02 intake, 1.60 exhaust. HD springs. Expensive, 1350 for cast heads, but not many choices for magnum motors. 2 year unlimited warranty.

Eq casting, 2.02 intake, 1.60 exhaust. HD springs. Expensive, 1350 for cast heads, but not many choices for magnum motors. 2 year unlimited warranty.
I recommend having them checked over before installing, or at least a home inspection if you have a valve spring compressor

There are really only two heads and one is super hard to find and that’s the MoPar Magnum R/T head. Then the also super hard to find early EQ head. Sing there both super hard to find, your left with the present EQ head or a simple replacement head.

A move to an aluminum head would be better and that would be an Edelbrock. (That’s what I would do.) Depending on the overall picture of the engine and car build combined with the over all goal, the head as cast or ported will be the next step. As cast, there not to bad.

of course.... If you are not sticking with the magnum EFI kegger intake, the LA heads are an option..... just say'n for anyone else that reads this thread

There are really only two heads and one is super hard to find and that’s the MoPar Magnum R/T head. Then the also super hard to find early EQ head. Sing there both super hard to find, your left with the present EQ head or a simple replacement head.

A move to an aluminum head would be better and that would be an Edelbrock. (That’s what I would do.) Depending on the overall picture of the engine and car build combined with the over all goal, the head as cast or ported will be the next step. As cast, there not to bad.
The Chinese magnum is not terrible, I have one here we did some R&D on for a circle track deal, and we did one chamber and port with a 2.02, bowl blend and some porting, and were over 250cfm without much effort

If you haven’t pulled the trigger yet, don’t. Being in Ft Wayne you are surrounded locally and regionally (at the most) by shops that can get those same castings, and set them up for you. There is absolutely no reason to buy those particular heads and have them shipped ($$$) from Florida.
Buy them from ANY shop that rebuilds/remanufactures cylinder heads, locally.

-
Back