Best method of making dual scoops functional?

-
I thought similar. 68 GTS hood inserts flipped around to catch air after hollowing out each of the red areas. But couldn't justify cutting them and the hood up. Only a pipe dream.

View attachment 1716178273
Interesting scenario. All you would hafta do is drill out the chrome base to match. Cutting the holes thru the hood would really be a challenge. They do make the power bulge hood in fiberglass....hmmmmm.
Would be a nitemare to keep the rain out though.

So I have heard this story from multiple sources over the years:

Dodge wanted to have a real cold air hood for the 340 Dart in 1970. The idea was to use an air cleaner without snorkles that would be fitted with a plastic insert that would go out, have a 90 degree bend upward and a foam seal that the hood would close on. The air cleaner got designed and the hood with 2 scoops and holes in the right place just in front of the air cleaner holes, but something went wrong and they ran out of time so the connecting piece never made it to production. I have never seen any documentation that would back up the story.

When you look at it, I am surprised that nobody ever made a set of 90 degree pieces to connect the factory hood holes to the 70-1 air cleaner.

69 Cuda hood modified to be functional.
20181021_180621.jpg

20181021_180645.jpg

20181021_180651.jpg

20181021_180717 (1).jpg

20181021_180612.jpg

Here is my current config. Open top K&N & 14 in K&N, 17 inch pan w/ 302 Z28 gasket seal, Tri-angle opening. Not rain friendly.

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_4078.JPG

read something years ago that said something along the lines of

1) scoops, to reduce under hood temperature cold air in at the top helps blow hot air out of the upper end of the bay
2) scoops, to provide a ram effect at high speed direct over carb, sealed to carb
3) scoops to provide air into a large baffled plenum so the carb can draw centrally from a large volume of still -ish air

I presume
1) is ok for any set up
2) is good for all out high acceleration high speed where the flow into the scoop is so great the pressure is higher than atm pressure at the mouth of the carb
3) is the kinda thing you get on road race and rally cars and high end things like porches where the aim is to take advantage of a big still pool of air to promote a much less random consistent flow down the carb at all operating rpms

3 different ways to increase performance

i guess a combination of all, or any may work but large plenum of still air isn't going to be still air if you try to use Ram effects with it, so combining 2 and 3 may have benefit or it all may cancel out at a specific RPM, its going to depend on harmonics and stand-off

like HIFI speaker design there is way more involved than i have ever been bothered to find out

an air box with a cold air inlet certainly works at some RPMs. there are loads available for multi carb set-ups usually side draught and equally effective with FI.
But not as easily translated to a centrally mounted 4 barrel on a V8 due to lack of space

here is a sweary chap called Chris extolling the benefits of his air box on a I6

it kinda combines 2 and 3 BUT i think it probably makes most of its impact by truly isolating the carb intakes from the heat of the exhaust. notice use of a heat deflector under it as well.
There is a good 1 inch gap between box and heat deflector very good insulation and "shiny" doesn't emit or absorb heat well so that box is going to stay cool.

dave

-
Back