Best method of making dual scoops functional?

-

BullyDodge

Reaction score
I have tried the search function and seems somewhat limited of information re functionality of dual hood scoops. This would be for 68’ Dart. It looks like there is an assembly that can be mounted under hood however how does it open/close or should it, and how do you deal with the rain if you can’t close it? Advice and pictures appreciated. Thanks.

I don’t remember anything under the hood. AFAIK, the scoops just direct the air to a hole in the hood. The air flow is near to the openings of the air cleaner. ‘71 to be specific.

This is how *I Think* it’s set up to be.

Mine are just open to the engine bay, not ducted to the air cleaner.
Probably doesn't do much but doesn't hurt either and lets hot air out in traffic too.
20230825_073638.jpg

20231118_170709.jpg

When I had my 71 Dart, I had the low profile Mopar Pro scoop on it and I made it functhinal using a Moroso carburetor pan sealed to the hood with a velocity stack on the Thermoquad with two filter elements stacked on top of one another. I didn't worry about making it so it could close off. I just got some really dense craft foam and cut it to tightly fit the scoop opening. I carried it in the trunk and would stick it in the scoop when it rained. Worked good.

Last edited:
or the factory method

70-74 Dart Duster Demon Mopar A Body Fresh Air Dual Hood Scoop Seals
1702555702430.png

I do as RRR stated. Hole cut right over carb with A filter top style air cleaner. I would be neat to install an electric activated shutter in the scoop.

220.jpeg

I do as RRR stated. Hole cut right over carb with A filter top style air cleaner. I would be neat to install an electric activated shutter in the scoop.

View attachment 1716178236
Does this help the rain water go directly into the carb? Seems like it would come in through the scoop and have all the pleats to sit in as it drips directly into the carb throat. Works fine on a fair weather car or race car, but I wonder on a daily driver situation. Not being an ***, just concerned.

Seeing the OP's scoops might help.

I always thought of the center mounted stinger scoop as a twin scoop whereas the wider 70+ scoops as dual scoops as they are separate. But that's just me.

I always thought of the center mounted stinger scoop as a twin scoop whereas the wider 70+ scoops as dual scoops as they are separate. But that's just me.
Well I think we're waiting on confirmation, hence the postings.

Did the B body dual scoops go to the AC? Or was it just an "Air Grabber" setup that was plumbed in?

Af far as my 70 Swinger 340 it is just the open holes with a rubber gasket to divert water from running in under hood during rain.

Car would have had the unsilenced 70 style air cleaner in black wrinkle paint I beleive no snorkel on it. Mine was missing so I bought the repop 68 -69 style air cleaner and pie pan... it looks close but isn't correct. A friend years ago had the 71 Charger Super Bee with Air Grabber. It works the car picks up if you open that scoop at a roll...

Does this help the rain water go directly into the carb? Seems like it would come in through the scoop and have all the pleats to sit in as it drips directly into the carb throat. Works fine on a fair weather car or race car, but I wonder on a daily driver situation. Not being an ***, just concerned.
It would if I didn't put my 2" thick foam covers on the scoop that I keep in trunk in case it rains.

I actually removed all the "race stuff" from my car and put it back as close to factory as budget would allow...:)

Hmmm got me thinking on our 67 cuda.....not so much "scoops", but I bet our 67 hood louvers could be discretely modified to allow air flow in thru them....

I thought similar. 68 GTS hood inserts flipped around to catch air after hollowing out each of the red areas. But couldn't justify cutting them and the hood up. Only a pipe dream.

1702563878119.png

I found this from another member years ago...

View attachment 1716178269
Seems to me that this particular set up would limit the air supply only from the hood scoops? I always thought it was to supplement the air supply as in more air than usual ?? What do you think ? Also it appears to be sealed up pretty tight to the underside of the hood. ( indents in the foam seal )

Seems to me that this particular set up would limit the air supply only from the hood scoops? I always thought it was to supplement the air supply as in more air than usual ?? What do you think ? Also it appears to be sealed up pretty tight to the underside of the hood. ( indents in the foam seal )
I would agree it would isolate the carb from all hot engine air. It would be similar to most drag cars. Cooler denser is good. I would put angle aluminum from side to side and drill a couple small holes for water drainage myself.

-
Back