Best oil??

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I know there is a huge post on here somewhere on this subject, but of course now cannot find it now that I need to buy some.

If someone could post the link, or let me know what people use that would be great.

I remember reading the the best oil has zinc in in for our old engines, and there were many different types, but which ones are actually "good", a some of them just seem to have better marketing than actual product.

I just broke in my fresh engine with basic oil, now that it is broke in I'd like to change it with the oil that it should be running.

Thanks a lot!!!

joe gibbs hot rod oil
or anything made by amsoil i believe

I actually spent the money on the hot rod oil...I want my cam to last

Bradd Penn oil is made with all of the goodies that our flat tappet cams need to live.

I just broke in my fresh engine with basic oil, now that it is broke in I'd like to change it with the oil that it should be running.

break in is when you really want the proper oil.

i use valvoline vr1

41KRWFD5G4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Product Features

* High performance and protection for today's engines that run at high RPM
* New ashless anti-wear additives combined with ZDDP provide ultimate wear protection
* Enhanced anti-foam system helps protect the engine even during extreme stress
* Enhanced additives protect against high-temperature deposits for a cleaner engine
* Friction modifiers help improve horsepower output

Hey, I thought religious topics were off limits on this board! :lol:

Seriously, you will get a LOT of answers to a question like this. Many of them will be baseless, without any science or fact behind them; without anything but parroted marketing BS behind them. Many of them will be harmless advice, but many of them will be bad advice. In the end, you will have to choose for yourself. The go-to place for engine oil knowledge is www.bobistheoilguy.com .

Well... See, I do hear different things. I was told for start up to use the cheapest oil possible because you are only running the engine for a short time before you change the oil again. If your changing the oil right away, your just wasting money.

So you I used some generic oil to start the engine and I have to admit there is a tick somewhere. Now I'm worried.

I was told for start up to use the cheapest oil possible because you are only running the engine for a short time before you change the oil again. If your changing the oil right away, your just wasting money.

I would put that in the category of baseless bad advice without any science or fact behind it. :-(

i use valvoline vr1

Product Features

* New ashless anti-wear additives combined with ZDDP provide ultimate wear protection
* Enhanced additives protect against high-temperature deposits for a cleaner engine

i thought this vr1 is the sm rated?? meaning it has zinc but not 1200-1500..

I always thought they said the off road vr1 is the one that is the good one

i thought this vr1 is the sm rated?? meaning it has zinc but not 1200-1500..

I always thought they said the off road vr1 is the one that is the good one

i get the vr1 at the local parts store. says right on the bottle extra zinc. forget how much is in it though. it was recommended a while back on a few boards.

The write ups on the synthetics claims it's better than conventional with anti corrosion and anti sludging features, but I have not used it to give any positive feeback.
All I can say is that alot of people try to push the lucas break in additive as a magic additive for flat tappet cams, but I can attest that it is not a good additive for friction reduction after break in for every oil change.

i use valvoline vr1

Product Features

I second this choice for a hydraulic cammed engine.Or for a solid one.

i get the vr1 at the local parts store. says right on the bottle extra zinc. forget how much is in it though. it was recommended a while back on a few boards.

I just looked at a bottle of valvoline Vr-1 20w50 racing oil, on the back it says "ashless anti wear additives and zddp for ultimate protection" but it did not state what parts per million.

I'm gonna get a case of either the Joe Gibbs or the golden stuff, and will give some feedback.

I was using the hughes high pressure lubricant additive with polybednedum as their main ingredient and I posed this question to the race section at moparts.
A member that goes by the name "hughes" said they are now recommending a one bottle does it all oil and recommended Joe gibbs.

I assume that guy works or speaks for Hughes engines.

VR1 is right up there with any other oil you can buy maybe higher. Someone posted a chart here awhile back and I think it might have been over 2500 ppm zinc??..

there was a topic on this no more then 3 months ago..has the info on the vr1 and oils that are good

This is an UNANSWERABLE question.

This is where everyone thinks they are the expert on oil.

What is it you want form a motor oil that many can't already give?

There are more than enough oils out there with the proper amount of zinc.

take your pick.

Oh yeah...and everyone thinks there choice is the best.lol

You can only ask what everyone uses, then choose whomever's opinion matters the most to you, otherwise read read read and learn.

Yea, that is what the guy said about using cheap oil for start up too. He said that everyone has an opinion that this or the other oil is better, but is it? HE said people just like to talk, and feel good buying expensive stuff, which is fine... but there really isn't a need.

Now, thats just what he told me.

yea i started the same post about what oil to use! it gets nasty after about 3 days or so...

im going brad penn from now on... has what u need and is only like 5 buck a quart. and never use synthetic in an old motor! just had my future boss take in a motor rebuild with a Hyd cam that the guy got talked into synthetic and then bam! no motor...

Yea, that is what the guy said about using cheap oil for start up too. He said that everyone has an opinion that this or the other oil is better, but is it? HE said people just like to talk, and feel good buying expensive stuff, which is fine... but there really isn't a need.

Now, thats just what he told me.

I've had lots of experience running cheap 10-30 etc. I can tell you that your engine WILL burn more of it ...I ended up giving up on cheap stuff because I'd always end up adding more because the engine used it.

Not to mention why would anyone spend 5 g's on a motor and then run cheap oil? So much for protecting your investment,lol...

There is one very important thing to remember, "OIL IS CHEAP" compared to the price of a new engine cuzz someone used the cheapest he could find. For god sakes, why would anyone want to spend the least amount of money to protect the most expensive part of any car, unless it's not worth protecting. This is the exact same thing I said to my father a couple years ago when he told me how proud he was buying the cheap crap for his V10 1 ton Dodge, I damn near smacked him up side the head.

Rant over

Oh yea, another vote for the Valvoline VR1 for the 383, she seems to like it and when she's happy I'm happy.

demon speed..you run the same vr1 of that in the picture posted? jw

-
Back