best rags for assembly

-
Man, i dunno about those blue shop towels. they seem to leave stuff behind. They did when I was doing paint anyway. Cant remember exactly what I used but they werent cheap. Got them from autobody supply for paint specifically. The blues might be good for engine, but I vote 'no' for paint.

$0.02

My neighbor hands them to you when you ask for a rag at his garage. And that's no bullshit. Just did it to me the last time Iwas working over there.
He's a sick individual if that's what he hands you for a rag. Shows that he's not mature

I use the microfiber tack clothes like the ones made for drying a car off. Everything sticks to them but they don't leave any lent behind. Plus I can throw them in the wash machine and reuse them.

I use the microfiber tack clothes like the ones made for drying a car off. Everything sticks to them but they don't leave any lent behind. Plus I can throw them in the wash machine and reuse them.
How bout postin up a link?

The texture of those doesent agree with me, i have to have gloves on to use them. Dry skin.
My daughter worked for a commercial laundry, brought a big stack of cotton sheets that were no longer acceptable to use. Made great shop rags. Similar to mechanic shop rags.

I still haven't found the "perfect" rags/wipes for engine stuff although my top choice is probably washed or at least rinsed 100% cotton t-shirt material, less than 100% (old sheets, etc) I use for soaking up spills on the floor since it's much slower-absorbing. Pretty much all paper-based wipes leave lint behind if you look closely enough especially if it gets caught on a sharp edge like the cooling jacket holes on the deck of a block or any rough cast surface. There are special laboratory-grade paper-based wipes commonly found in chemistry labs that are called Kimwipes which I used in grad school for cleaning sensitive electronics and gas plumbing parts, they are pretty thin and have a weird feel to them but damn they work as advertised, ZERO lint! I might give them a try when I start putting together my 440.

Kimwipes® Delicate Task Wipers

Also I agree the only sure-fire way to clean parts and leave behind absolutely no particles or debris is a strong spray with solvent like brake cleaner and then compressed air with no direct physical touching at all. I figured that out when rebuilding the valve body in my 904, literally anything I touched the separator plate with aside from my bare clean skin left behind small particles which could get stuck inside the tiny passages or prevent the parts from seating together properly. And even clean hands can still leave behind residue which corrodes metals.

Last edited:
The texture of those doesent agree with me, i have to have gloves on to use them. Dry skin.
My daughter worked for a commercial laundry, brought a big stack of cotton sheets that were no longer acceptable to use. Made great shop rags. Similar to mechanic shop rags.
Yea me either I usually have to pull them off my hands haha

How bout postin up a link?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Simpli-Mag...VSKiGCh0VPgWVEAQYBCABEgJLGvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Microfiber Cleaning Cloth 12 in. x 12 in., 4 Pk.
Harbor freight has them on sale 4 for a dollar. I have several different brands my wife got some fancy ones from one of her friends that sales that high end cleaning supplies but I think the cheap ones are just as good. I like the cheap ones cause I don't mind throwing them away if they get torn lol I may go ahead and order some from HB I need some more anyway

Pretty hard to beat worn out T shirts, sheets or anything cotton.Beware of blue shop towels they have water wetter in them to absorb spills better. Micro fibre are good too and you can wash and re-use them.

You will need this coupon code at harbor freight to get the 4 for a dollar. 57439963

Thanks for speaking up, maybe the guy without a mopar should get his old broken *** out there and find one instead of being the etiquette/maturity cop he THINKS he is. Wife got me new ginch, so the old CLEAN ones went to the shop.
Mature....lmao

Lighten up Francis. It was funny. We don’t have to play grown up all the time. It turns people into a giant sour puss.
He's a sick individual if that's what he hands you for a rag. Shows that he's not mature
To the OP, here is a line we use at work in the lab and in the field. Theres cheaper prices out there and WYPALL has several types to choose from.
WypAll® Teri X60 Dispenser Box Wiper - 11 x 17

Those white towels that Rusty speaks of are a bit more robust than the blue ones. They don't seem to "shed" as much as the blue ones.
That's my opinion and I'm stickin with it. I don't use them for "regular" shop cloths, either, just assembly. That way, Kitty doesn't have an extra load on the washer. She keeps my regular shop cloths clean as it is. I don't want to put more burden there. lol

That's my opinion and I'm stickin with it. I don't use them for "regular" shop cloths, either, just assembly. That way, Kitty doesn't have an extra load on the washer. She keeps my regular shop cloths clean as it is. I don't want to put more burden there. lol
I use the blue for "regular" shop use. I used quotes because is there really regular things happening in the shop? Lol. Not mine.

I'm an aerospace machinist. I take home 2 or 3 bundles, use them and take them back to work for our service to clean...my boss is totally cool! Plus I have CNC lathes and mills at my disposal. ....

I do like the ones @RustyRatRod uses from O'Riely's....have a couple boxes in the garage right now. ....pretty convenient.

Jeff

Doesn't anybody use the old tried and true red cloth shop towels anymore? They always were the best for oil and grease. NAPA used to sell used them by the bag full cheap.

Doesn't anybody use the old tried and true red cloth shop towels anymore? They always were the best for oil and grease. NAPA used to sell used them by the bag full cheap.

man I used to buy them by the bagful at Sam’s Club and wash them when they needed it. But I never used them for engine assembly. Now I don’t even grab them to wipe up spills.

Blue paper towels are outlawed in my shop except for setting clean parts on, or cleaning up floor spills or wiping grease off from spindles or zerks. Reason: 9 years ago built a 408 in a friends shop, all he had was the blue paper towels. About ten minutes into the cam break in period the oil pressure began to fall. When it got down to 30 psi. I shut it down and let it cool a bit. Then restarted it and the oil pressure was back at 75 psi again, but it quickly began to fall again. So I terminated the run in and pulled the pan. The sump screen was covered with what looked like felt which peeled off in a nice layer. I rinsed the "felt" in mineral spirits and found it to be blue fiber. It seems every sharp edge on the parts snag a bit of fiber. Never again! Red shop towels, or old T-shirts from then on.

-
Back