Best sealer for brass freeze plugs?????

-

swinger340

Reaction score
I have always used Permatex Indian Head gasket shellac (brown bottle, blackish goop) on my freeze plugs but I had an engine builder tell me he uses lock tight. What is the best sealer for brass plugs? Just curious what everyone is using. May steer away from my Indian Head if there is something better.

"The Right Stuff" It's blue and comes in a small can that looks like a Caulking can. "I put that **** on everything" haha (Made by permatex)

I've always used that goopy black Permatex stuff. I don't know why I can never remember exactly which one. No. 2?

Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket is what we use at the shop. Unless there is some corosion in the bore, then we use Loctite Sleeve Retaining Compound

ive used both, that aviation form a gasket, and red loctite with great results...

I use a little bit of Ultra Grey. Not much at all really, and make sure the plug is seated fully because the brass does not grab the bore as much as steel and it's more likely to pop out. Especially with the shallow type plugs most kits seem to have.

Uh oh...I've never used a drop of sealer on brass freeze plugs, and they don't leak for me.

Permatex #1 (hardening)
X2 Used it for over 30 years in the shop never any leaks.

i use the indian head aslo, smear it around and knock it in. then smear around the lip for extra assurance against a leak.

For years, I had used Felco bond with fantastic results. Sadly, it was. Discontinued a few years ago.
Since then, I have used Permatex #1, as well as standard RTV, each with no leaking or comebacks.
Damn, I really miss that Felcobond.

x3 on the no sealer. I've never even thought of using anything lol.

You are not actually supposed to use sealer on brass plugs.
Some do, some don't but I never use sealer on them either.

The freeze plug manufacturers recommend that you do not use any sealant when installing the plugs.
Just a clean dry bore.

I've used regular old rtv and the indian head stuff. both worked fine. using nothing might work fine as well but, it can be hard to re-do a freeze plug in the car. I would rather slap a bit of sealer on there as extra protection. It won't hurt anything.

-
Back