Best starter for BB Dart with tti headers.

-

440abody

Reaction score
Well for the second time I have lost a starter in my Dart. The first starter was one from 440 Source, and only lasted about 6 months. So I purchased a Powermaster, and it lasted about a year and half. So what starter(s) out there can take the heat of the headers(and yes I have it wrapped with a starter blanket).A friend of mine recommended a CVR p/n 1337M. I have never heard of them. Are they any good? My other choice is another Powermaster p/n 9513(they claim no heat soak problems) Any info greatly appreciated. I really want to cure this problem, as having to pull the trans to change a starter(2in primary TTi's in an BB A-body) is getting old!

IMG_0005.jpg

Why not just get a new style nippon denso from a magnum truck?

Did you contact 440source. I had one of there's when they first came out, lasted 3 months, I contacted them and talked to them shipped it to them and they sent me a working one back

Both of the starters I have put in are the Nippon Denso style. I guess what what I'm really asking is there a starter out there in this big wide world that is fairly heat soak tolerant. Not to put down the parts store stuff, but lets face it they are for O.E. replacement, and generally do not have the best of components in them. That's why they are cheap.

Both of the starters I have put in are the Nippon Denso style. I guess what what I'm really asking is there a starter out there in this big wide world that is fairly heat soak tolerant. Not to put down the parts store stuff, but lets face it they are for O.E. replacement, and generally do not have the best of components in them. That's why they are cheap.

Agreed,parts store stuff is crap. The place I buy no longer carries rebuilt stuff as there are just too many returns.

New stuff only now,lol.

Truth be told if you still have those starters why not rebuild em your self?

Theres like 3 parts to replace if the wiring aint burnt out of them.

What are you using for shielding? Maybe its not good enough. I would try something called fibrefrax.Its insulation that is used to plug furnaces used in heavy industry. Comes in a big roll so the best thing to do is find a company that has some scrap.

I have used a Proform starter from Summit with no problems...also consider buying a starter heat blanket also availible at Summit...

1231000.jpg

I have a new MoPar starter on my 400 with Headman Elites. (1 tube dented)
It has lasted for the last 4 years or so as a everyday driver.

when i put my dart together there werent all the cheap options out there so i just followed the tti instructions and used the mopar performance mini starter which is just like the late model truck starter. im really not a fan of the mp stuff but i didnt want to buy anything that didnt fit. maybe it has better components i dont know. i think i paid around 130 at a speed shop. he didnt understand why i just had to have a mopar brand starter. that was around 1999 or 2000. it still in there never a problem. i did use the heat wrap that is just held on with a giant stainless zip tie. im going to need to buy another one soon for my duster and im not sure which one im going with. im not buying a parts store one, last i checked there were within 5 bucks of the MP one.

-
Back