Best starter?

-
Looking for best quality starter for 13:1 small block. Thanks.

Installing the correct gauge cable for positive and negative connections makes a big difference in getting which ever starter you use properly fed with power. I run a dedicated ground cable directly to my starter.

McRobb starters are reportedly very good. I have an MSD starter in my '70 E-body and a junkyard factory mini starter in my '68. Both work well.

Last edited:
Go to your local auto parts store and get a starter for a V8 (1995) dodge truck. I used to have the measurements and be able to tell the higher output ones from the weaker ones. Some even come with a lifetime guarantee. I think one is 1.4 Hp and the other is 1.6.

Look for a
Go to your local auto parts store and get a starter for a V8 (1995) dodge truck. I used to have the measurements and be able to tell the higher output ones from the weaker ones. Some even come with a lifetime guarantee. I think one is 1.4 Hp and the other is 1.6.
Yep, I think the V8 starters are a bit bigger/more powerful than the V6 ones. I put a V6 starter on my 66-273 and it has worked perfect for a decade now.

The starter on My Dart has been on it for 15 or 16 years and has worked great on everything from my 340 to the current 434. It’s for a 93 5.2 Dakota, came from Advance Auto.

I bought a mini starter from the local parts store that only lasted a couple years and that's not much for my car that would be like two months of normal driving for a daily driver. I ended up going to the local Pick-n-Pull and getting one that was actually already pulled and laying on the ground underneath a Dodge truck. I paid $22 for it and triple cleaned it with WD-40 until it was looking like new. It's worked absolutely great and much better than my supposed new starter. I see no issues going on with it now and I've never had any issues with my Durango's or my Dodge Magnum truck as long as I've had them...

Installing the correct gauge cable for positive and negative connections makes a big difference in getting which ever starter you use properly fed with power. I run a dedicated ground cable directly to my starter.

McRobb starters are reportedly very good. I have an MSD starter in my '70 E-body and a junkyard factory mini starter in my '68. Both work well.
Exactly. Biggest gauge you can fit in heavy lug terminals, quality crimps. Clean and tight connections. Learned this and rectified many a starting issue on quite a few European exotic motorcycles with cranking issues where you only have the oem starter to work with :thumbsup:

....and if you get a used Nippondenso it’s EASY to change the solenoid contacts. I have two spare starters from ones at work that would “click, no crank”.

-
Back