best way of setting roller lifters ??

-

gunmetal72

Life is a dark ride
Reaction score
I finally finished my engine build and I am happy with how it runs and over all performance. The only issue I have is the lifters get a little noisy once the engine warms up and the oil thins out. I have tried different types of oil, 10-39, but no difference. I have hughes roller lifters Hughes Engines
When I put them in I set them the way hughes suggested. My plan is to bring the engine up to temperature and set them with the engine running,
- Back off the adjuster until the lifter just starts to rattle
- Then tighten until it stops making noise
- Then tighten one turn.
Am I correct in the way I plan to adjust them? If anyone would like to comment I would appreciate it.

Hydraulic rollers usually respond best tighter than "just one turn". I have seen where some manufacturers recommend 1.5 and even 2 turns.

Here is the Hughes instruction sheet.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/productInstructions/camshaft_instructions_Mar_2016.pdf

Notice that they do NOT give an X amount to turn the rocker adjusters, but they do give a preload amount. They also say as we all (should) know that high performance valve trains are more noisy than stock.

There is one spot in there where they talk about Magnum rollers and say they need about two turns. That's the only place I saw a reference to the number of turns....although I did not read every word.

Here is the Hughes instruction sheet.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/productInstructions/camshaft_instructions_Mar_2016.pdf

Notice that they do NOT give an X amount to turn the rocker adjusters, but they do give a preload amount. They also say as we all (should) know that high performance valve trains are more noisy than stock.

There is one spot in there where they talk about Magnum rollers and say they need about two turns. That's the only place I saw a reference to the number of turns....although I did not read every word.
Interesting find,on the "turns ,on preload" ,Rob.Not saying anything particular or bad,just seems strange... The reduced circle Howard's la roller,(albeit the Magnum setup,was converted to Crane's stud setup,and blueprinted on sweep..) & stock Magnum roller lifters,really like a 60-70 "preload,or a 3/4 to 1 turn preload adjustment.Just goes to show how forgiving hydraulic lifters can be,& the time taken,on adjustments in valve train improvement can make.

Magnums are turning the stud, LA's are turning the rocker arm adjuster. The /24 threads of an adjuster equates to ~.04 per turn. The /24 of the stud may be different because the adjustment of the rocker adjuster is 1.5X at the valve tip where as the adjustment at the pivot of the magnum is going to be ~.75x at the tip..does that make sense?

Magnums are turning the stud, LA's are turning the rocker arm adjuster. The /24 threads of an adjuster equates to ~.04 per turn. The /24 of the stud may be different because the adjustment of the rocker adjuster is 1.5X at the valve tip where as the adjustment at the pivot of the magnum is going to be ~.75x at the tip..does that make sense?
Love your way,,of doing things ,Posts..
(Still dig the brake lathe bit,valve job idea...)

My build sheet included the footnote to use of 1 turn of preload for the installed PRW 1.6 ratio rockers .I found an extra 1/2 really quieted things down but worried about hanging the valves open so went right back to the smooth sewing machine sound of 1 turn

In the old DC manual, they said at least ..020 and no more than .040" now i have Hyd rollers and I set them the same........there quiet, so i won't be changing them but....new info for me!
Really like the feeler gauge trick!!!! I used a wire gauge to set mine. but that requires the intake to be off.
When i first started reading the article i said to myself, Wait! YOU DON'T USE A FEELER GAUGE ON A HYDRAULIC!!!! :thankyou:

I have Hughes roller lifters, I followed what they said on the directions they came with for a hydraulic cam an all turned out well. I don't even hear them. I have a xe284 comp. it.s been in there a little over a year I think, maybe more. I check them every other oil change just to see if things are good. No issues so far knock on wood.

I have Hughes roller lifters, I followed what they said on the directions they came with for a hydraulic cam an all turned out well. I don't even hear them. I have a xe284 comp. it.s been in there a little over a year I think, maybe more. I check them every other oil change just to see if things are good. No issues so far knock on wood.

What? You mean you actually take the valve covers off every other oil change? I am flabbergasted. With all the flack I get for recommending solid cams and people saying they never want to take their valve covers off, it's nice to see somebody that's actually a REAL car guy. I'm impressed.

I check mine @ every service and I don't understand whats so hard about it ??? takes an extra 25 -30 min if that. Love solids and cant wait to do my solid roller next year.

Call Hughes and find out how much the plunger is suppose to compress into the lifter. Get a Dial Indicator in your life and wash,rinse, and repeat 16 times. Put the lifter in the base position on the Cam with zero lash and compress the lifter until you achieve the number Hughes wants. I call it set it and forget it. If you do this and there is still a noise either you need someone to show you how to set the compression height or something else is going on.....

Good luck,
JW

Sounds like there are many different way to set them. Everyone seems to have a little different way of doing it. I think I am going to do it the way I posted on my opening thread.

Sounds like there are many different way to set them. Everyone seems to have a little different way of doing it. I think I am going to do it the way I posted on my opening thread.

I think you will make a oily mess with the eng running and the valve cover off.
I like the feeler gauge trick so you know how many turns .080 is, or what ever you decide to set them at.

what rockers do U have? shaft mounted or magnum? LA rockers , with the adjuster at the pushrod can not be adjusted when the engine is running, think about it. tightening up a hydraulic system will not make it quieter, if U already have any preload. give us more info on what U have

i have the hughes hyd roller lifters and cam. installed as per thier instructions. valves were actually staying open with there stated 90-95 thou preload.

what rockers do U have? shaft mounted or magnum? LA rockers , with the adjuster at the pushrod can not be adjusted when the engine is running, think about it. tightening up a hydraulic system will not make it quieter, if U already have any preload. give us more info on what U have
Rockers are shaft mounted 1.6 PRW. The shop that did the block for me also ordered the rockers and told me to set the lifters at .50. Perhaps I should have done what Hughes recommended.

hughes is saying a different procedure, .090" at the valve to get a spec. that will give 060" at the lifter-OK

hughes is saying a different procedure, .090" at the valve to get a spec. that will give 060" at the lifter-OK
I've got a similar problem when mine its warming up. Or after it's been run and shut off. Full roller comp cam retro roller lifters. When I changed oil it helped but it's aggravating

The instructions I got with my hughes hydro roller lifters was to move the push rod up and down until all slack was taken out.
Tighten 1/2 turn.

-
Back