Best way to clean inside rocker shafts?

-

dano

Evil Handy Man
Reaction score
OK, so I got my Hughes rockers and stuff and I'm cleaning the insides of the shafts (yes I read the directions...) and they are filthy inside. Right know I'm using a brass 12 gauge bore brush and Simple Green. Seems to be cleaning OK but I though someone might have a better solution? Steel bore brush OK to use?

Blow through it... Real hard...

Get pics/video....

I'm about to do this same task today. I'm soaking them in mineral spirits in a 2 foot length of capped PVC pipe then probably using the bore brush route also. I'm reusing stock shafts. I'm curious also to see what others have come up with!

I use an old method used to clean a shotgun barrel to clean them. Cut a piece of rag that fits tight in the bore roll it up similar to a bow tie and tie a piece of nylon twine around the
center that's long enough to go through it and stick out a foot or so and tie a small bolt or nail on the other end and drop it through the shaft and pull the rag through it.

Well after driving all over hell's half acre, a shot gun brush is still my best option with some brake clean. A 50 caliber brush would be ideal and a .45 is too small. Unfortunately the one 50 cal brush I found had 10-32 threads and all the Hopps stuff is 8-32 and 5/16-27 (I think) for large bore stuff and they didn't sell a rod.....or an adapter.

Get an engine cleaning brush kit. Plenty of various size nylon bristle bottle brushes in them - one is bound to do the job. Now if you REALLY want to be thorough - knock out the end caps and replace them when done.

Get an engine cleaning brush kit. Plenty of various size nylon bristle bottle brushes in them - one is bound to do the job. Now if you REALLY want to be thorough - knock out the end caps and replace them when done.

I looked at several place and didn't find anything long enough and I don't think nylon would get the stuff broke free. It look a lot of work with a brass brush and I'l going to order a steel one for the final cleaning. They were visibly very dirty and lots of material came out.

The brush and brake clean is the go. Just weld the end of the brush to some steel rod or drill and tap the rod for the thread you have.

Well after driving all over hell's half acre, a shot gun brush is still my best option with some brake clean. A 50 caliber brush would be ideal and a .45 is too small. Unfortunately the one 50 cal brush I found had 10-32 threads and all the Hopps stuff is 8-32 and 5/16-27 (I think) for large bore stuff and they didn't sell a rod.....or an adapter.

Maybe crimp on a length of 1/4" straight steel tube or brake line?

-
Back