best way to make connections

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
So after discovering my problem was a bad connection from the start it dawned on me that maybe im not choosing the best method. Im wiring in my MSD and ignition using Garnder Bender connectors, but splices, spades ect ect. Is there a better method? Id like to make it so I can unhook the box with ease without having to cut wires all the time. Suggestions and products please?

How many wires do you need to make "connectable"?
Perhaps a Weatherpak" connector may do you.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 215
After finding your bad connection,does it run?

Nope... ive got fire all the way to the distributor so i know the system is good to that point. But i want to go back and make the connections better to prevent issues like this and durability down the road.

You need the correct crimping pliars for those pin connectors. They double crimp. It crimps the wire strands on one and the wire case on the other.

glad you mentioned that because i dont have one and wouldnt havent know i needed one.

It's an excuse to buy another tool. :D
The second part of the crimp not only secures the insulation, but retains the seal for the wire into the connector, also.

I solder all crimp connections just to be safe. You don't have to if you have a top-notch crimper, but those cost >$300 and I don't have one. The "56 terminals" used throughout our cars are simple and inexpensive, but not as good as Weatherpack or Metri-pak. Most term them "spade terminals". You can also use the round "bullet connectors, especially for single wires like an AC compressor. Whichever you use, best to fill the terminals with silicone di-electric grease.

I solder everything and shrink sleeve over that. It's slow but it works.

I solder everything and shrink sleeve over that. It's slow but it works.

As far as reliable connections go it's hard to beat that.
One major drawback I don't like about connectors is that they all only make contact over a pretty small area for any loads.
A bullet connector for example, usually only has two very small places around the bullet that it actually makes contact.

I don't think many people take that into account when they think of connectors.

I usually use a pair of vice grips to crush the crimp connectors. It seems to hold better than if you use the wire stripper to crimp them. Rarely have problems where wires pull out. But like said above heat shrink and solder are good insurance.

I use the wire pliers, I crimp the right size, then I crimp the next size down, until I hear the wires crackle, then I pull test it. Getting into soldering certain ones though.

Quality terminals and ratchet crimpers make good connections. Good terminal are more expensive and are not typically found at auto part stores. I order supplies from Waytek.

Beware soldering aneals the wire at edge of joints, and will fail more than properly crimped connection. Heat shrink, wire looms and tie wraps help support connections from vibrations.

Quality terminals and ratchet crimpers make good connections. Good terminal are more expensive and are not typically found at auto part stores. I order supplies from Waytek.

Beware soldering aneals the wire at edge of joints, and will fail more than properly crimped connection. Heat shrink, wire looms and tie wraps help support connections from vibrations.

Good points that you don't see mentioned.
I also try and support the wiring to the connections so the weight of the wiring/harness isn't pulling on them. We all seem to forget that things move.

-
Back