Best way to remove 72 Dart rear glass?

-

greenmonsta79

Reaction score
I have the whole car apart and ready for paint except this mother f'n rear window, I cracked the front glass trying to get the seal out in one piece!!! AAARRGH!!! oh well good buddy can get me one for $90.00, So the rear glass is loose I can lift the rubber up around the glass but it still in the channel and I don't want to break this piece!!! Any hints or tricks?? (I don't wanna cut the gasket!!!)

Since nobody else answered, I'll take a stab.
Have seen it done on TV, but never done it. Usually, 1 or 2 guys inside the car pushes out on the glass with their feet, while others hold it on the outside. Don't pry w/ a screwdriver as that will surely crack it.

Let the car sit in the sun to get the rubber warmed up and pliable. Pick a corner and work the glass out, then work your way around. It helps to have someone gently pushing from the inside.

Back glass is a little more forgiving than front glass. DO NOT use any metal prying tools on the glass. Use heavy gloves and push from the inside with steady firm pressure, it should push right out.

Lots of WD-40, putty knifes from inside and out and muscle. Direct sun on a hot day helps but I did mine in December.

Personally, I would cut the old gasket out and replace with a new one.Old gaskets get stiff with age and won't seal correctly if reused. Saw a new one on Ebay for $40. I reolaced my trim clips too when I replaced mine. Glad I did!

Try to save your old one as they are no longer being made, hopefully temporary situation, but old stock is hard to find and expensive.

To try and save the gasket for reuse...
WD-40 evaporates too fast and allows the adhesive to restick.
A spray silicone works better. Use plastic tools and spray silicone to loosen the adhesive all the way around inside and outside. Applying pressure to the top of the glass and rolling the inner lip of the gasket down exposing the headliner anchors. The glass should come out of the gasket just before the gasket comes off the fence.

-
Back