best way to remove engine - and reintall in another car?

-

jasonmrenda

Reaction score
do you all recommend using a hoist and pulling the eng/trans out as 1, or seperate the eng and trans and pull the eng out alone? or just keep everything attached to k frame and slowly lower then pick car up over that?

i dont have a hoist but i'll get one if it is the safest way - both for me and the engine.

lastly, i am going from the points /6 to the elc ign 318. there are lots of wires etc. i didnt unhook anything or rip anything apart,but i know i will get confused with exactly how to rewire the 318 into the /6 car. any tips/suggestions?

thanks all

Me personally I like to pull and install them both at the same time especially if you have help. I think it is a big pain to have to line everything up, bolt the bell housing to the block, the flex plate to the convertor and install the starter while it is in the car. The only issue this way is it's harder to handle, but that is where a buddy comes in handy. I am sure some guys on here will argue this method.

yea, I say pull the motor and trans as one peice also. A lot less work and I think it is the best way. As far as the ignition if you are using a kit it will have good instructions as long as the car that your putting it into hasn't been hacked up before. If you are using everything off the other car you may have to make your own harness or buy the pigtails.

thanks guys

i will def be keeping the eng/trans together when pulling it. do you think its best to use a hoist to go up and over or keep everything on the k frame and lift the car over it? the donor car is completely stripped of everything but the driveline so it is fairly light.

I say just pull the motor out the top. If you undo the whole k-frame then you will have the car stuck in the shop. Just pull the motor and trans from the top and roll the car out.

Jason -
Take a look at our club website (www.inlandmoparscarclub.com) and see the photos of the /6 and tranny attached to the K-frame when we removed the engine/trans assembly from our latest charity raffle car. There's also photos of the 360/904 on the K-frame when we installed the new engine/trans assembly.
The equipment we used was from Dutch Brothers. There should also be a link to their website so you can see their products.
This was the easiest engine/trans pull I've ever been associated with. The neat thing is you can have your engine/trans/headers already installed and just lower the car over the complete assembly.
We used a standard engine lift to raise/lower the front of the car.

-
Back