Best way to remove my trans?

-

whit68

Reaction score
G'day FABO's,

I need to replace the trans in my Aussie Valiant and am curious as to the best way to do it.

Should I take the engine and tans out as a unit, swap the trans over and slot it all back in or leave the engine in and remove the trans on its own?

It is a 360 / 727 combo.

Thanks
Anthony

If... Pulling the 2 together means you have to get the car off the ground high enough so the tail doesn't drag the ground. That means you need a very tall cherry picker. Then you spill trans fluid EVERYWHERE.
If... the car has to be that far off the ground anyway, why not just drop the trans out from under. I throw a nylon draw strap around the torsion bars to cradle the rear of the trans then remove exhaust, drive shaft, trans support, even fan shroud if necessary so I can lower the rear of the trans and get to the upper bell bolts.
The floor jack with trans adapter will go under there eventually but the strap kept me from having to work around it.
the strap is even more handy supporting the trans when you're pulling the engine alone.

JMO I have never pulled an engine to repair a transmission, I have dun it many times when I was a few .... ok a dozen years younger. remove the drive shaft and fluid lines, un clip the shifting linkage remove the starter and dust shield, a small 2X6 piece of wood to put between the oil pan and floor jack so ypu can lower the engine to reinstall and hold the engine up as you stab the replacement transmission
and then T.C. bolts and Mark one of your flex plat bolt holes so you put it back correctly

I pulled trans this winter from my duster. Getting bellhousing bolts out was easy but I was dreading putting them in. I bent the lip of the firewall to floor joint flat so that would give me more clearance. That helped a lot in putting the bolts back in bellhousing. It was work for a fat old man but glad I did it that way.

I pulled trans this winter from my duster. Getting bellhousing bolts out was easy but I was dreading putting them in. I bent the lip of the firewall to floor joint flat so that would give me more clearance. That helped a lot in putting the bolts back in bellhousing. It was work for a fat old man but glad I did it that way.

When I removed the drive shaft and transmission mount I jacked up the trans witch tilted the engine a bit so I could get to the top bell housing bolts, But I did have headers and did not have any exhaust binding problems :D

Probably a big factor is your work conditions

If you don't have a concrete floor, and a way to obtain a trans jack, this might be difficult

But Horrid Freight sells trans jacks fairly reasonable, and you can use a sheet of plywood to roll the jack on. So far as fluid, you can do that two ways...........

Either obtain a spare slip yoke and secure it in the trans, and carefully secure the converter to prevent dropping out,

or pull the pan and drain the trans.

If you are in a dirt field, with no chance of a trans jack, pulling the engine might be the only other choice, unless you can get six guys who want to get dirty.

Probably a big factor is your work conditions

If you are in a dirt field, with no chance of a trans jack, pulling the engine might be the only other choice, unless you can get six guys who want to get dirty.

Back when I had no concrete to work off of I used a 3/4" sheet of plywood. Since then OSB has came out so I would use what ever the have that is as thick as the 3/4" plywood since OSB doesn't soak in the oil or grease.

A small come-a-long across the torsion bars help a bunch! Might want to think about changing that 727 for a 904. :)

Thanks everyone, you guys are awesome.

I will leave the engine in and I am working in a good size garage so all is good there. I already have the pan off so no probs there either.

Thanks again, a few weeks until the trans arrives so ill let you know how I go.

Regards
Anthony

After unbolting the 4 k frame bolts and lifting the car off the whole unit, that would be the way I would go.

That way, it also gives to a chance to look at the rest of the systems..

ian.

-
Back