Best way to remove nipples on water pump?

-

LovetheA's

Reaction score
I wanted to refurbish and repaint my 383 BB water pump. I also have to remove one of the heater hose nipple connections to get one of the water pump bolts out. While I’m doing that I figured I’d replace the nipples with new ones. Is there a tool to remove these nipples without crushing or damaging them?

E2D52189-D308-4765-956D-CE2C1D028634.jpeg

Great design!
Doubt you can get them off in one piece so be prepared. I saw a video of them being remove the old fashion way, one chunk at a time.
sorry im no help

Day
I wanted to refurbish and repaint my 383 BB water pump. I also have to remove one of the heater hose nipple connections to get one of the water pump bolts out. While I’m doing that I figured I’d replace the nipples with new ones. Is there a tool to remove these nipples without crushing or damaging them?
"Best way to remove nipples on water pump?"
The same way you remove them from people.
Twist em off.:D

Seriously though, it looks like you soaked them already and that's good.
Heat helps a lot (a propane torch is about as minimal as you can use, but does help)
Even though those have the cutouts for a tool those usually just strip out if the tubes have been in there for years.
Most end up having to use a pipe wrench, and even sometimes collapse the tube or break it off in the water pump doing it.

Our member @Rainy Day Auto made a tool that could work if they are not too rusted in there.

Start with the most non intrusive methods first and work you way up till you get them out.

View attachment 1715209456

"Best way to remove nipples on water pump?"
The same way you remove them from people.
Twist em off.:D

Seriously though, it looks like you soaked them already and that's good.
Heat helps a lot (a propane torch is about as minimal as you can use, but does help)
Even though those have the cutouts for a tool those usually just strip out if the tubes have been in there for years.
Most end up having to use a pipe wrench, and even sometimes collapse the tube or break it off in the water pump doing it.

Our member @Rainy Day Auto made a tool that could work if they are not too rusted in there.

Start with the most non intrusive methods first and work you way up till you get them out.

The easiest way to remove them and also pipe plugs is to thermal shock them. to do this you heat the nipple or pipe plug being removed with a torch. do not heat the cast housing. The nipple or pipe plug does not have to be red hot but needs to be hotter than a propane torch will get it, so it works best with an oxy-acetylene torch. Then douche the nipple or pipe plug with cold water wait about 5 seconds and remove with suitable tool. the nipples normally require a pipe wrench. Good luck.

find a bolt 7/16 or 3/8 what ever you can get down the pipe and use a pipe wrench, heat the nipple as described, then cool use penetrating oil, then heat the casting, the bolt will keep the pipe from smashing in and will take it out.
good luck

The easiest way to remove them and also pipe plugs is to thermal shock them. to do this you heat the nipple or pipe plug being removed with a torch. do not heat the cast housing. The nipple or pipe plug does not have to be red hot but needs to be hotter than a propane torch will get it, so it works best with an oxy-acetylene torch. Then douche the nipple or pipe plug with cold water wait about 5 seconds and remove with suitable tool. the nipples normally require a pipe wrench. Good luck.

Or there's the possibility that they will come right out.:D
Especially if someone used a good product like Antiseize when the put them in.

See the two big notches at the top? The factory tool is a straight blade screwdriver on steroids, it fits all the way across an then some, it is as wide as the notch. The rear one looks normal, the one in front is a bit worn down.

Use heat and a pipe wrench but first put something inside to keep the nipple from squashing when the pipe wrench bites down.

If its not too late to voice an opinion;

Heat expands, and cold contracts, these are the laws of physics...can't change these.
You're dealing with pipe threads (NPT's) that are tapered. if you can get any movement at all...you can get them out. A bolt , or anything solid, close fitting to the tube I.D. that gets down the tube approximately where the threads are (let this plug or bolt sit in the freezer until you're ready to use it), is great, but try this:

heat the casting, not the tube, because you want the casting to expand, with a propane torch, then drop in your plug or bolt

support it against some flat and solid ( two person job), have someone strike the top on the fitting lightly while holding the pump steady

try to tighten and then loosen alternating. Remember, if you can get any movement, you can work it out

See "how to article" right here on FABO for just that.

I sell water pump housings with the nipples and plugs removed, so I've done a few in my time!

First, I remove the water pump housing BEFORE applying the acetylene torch. Work it on the floor or the bench and keep excess heat out of the engine.

The way to remove the housing without unblocking the bolt that the nipple obstructs is to take out all the OTHER bolts first! Then use an open end 9/16 wrench to start to remove the blocked bolt. You will find that the head of that bolt will push against the nipple that's blocking it and break loose the gasket seal. Eventually the housing comes right off (with the bolt still behind the nipple).

After the housing and water pump are out, you can apply all the heat you want to the nipples and they will eventually easily turn out. I do occasionally crush one with a pipe wrench, but it is the housing than I'm after. The nipples are available new.

Everyone update on the waterpump nipples. I bought this kit off of amazon. It was a little pricey like $60.00 but it’s made in the USA and high quality. They are made of a hardened steel very durable. You drive the correct size down into the pipe fitting make sure to spray the bottom threads with penetrating oil then put a pipe wrench or large adjustable on the top and the pipe fitting twists right out. Really great product. Just though I’d pass it on.

B63CBA4B-9AD0-47F0-A4C1-F06576C61009.jpeg

7A17C655-4153-40F8-B864-EF085401CCFF.jpeg

242134E8-EE88-4FCC-BABC-8C317A7B1120.jpeg

I JUST did this a couple days ago on a big block. I used these. Pound the biggest one in there and remove with the biggest crescent wrench ya got. Easy peasy japanesey.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D1FXDE/?tag=joeychgo-20

Never, in a million years, will I risk breaking off an EZ-out. I toss 'em.

See the two big notches at the top? The factory tool is a straight blade screwdriver on steroids, it fits all the way across an then some, it is as wide as the notch. The rear one looks normal, the one in front is a bit worn down.

Big washer and a big crescent wrench is easier to find.

General Tools Internal Pipe Wrench Set (4-Piece)-139/4 - The Home Depot

These work well, and are cheap. Use heat. Propane is fine.

F the home depot stuff it's a one time use if it works without breaking.
I would buy the ridgid and have a tool for life. Just my opinion.

ut a pipe wrench or large adjustable on the top and the pipe fitting twists right out.
Did you use the square on the top of the tool or use a pipe wrench around the fitting with the tool inside the fitting?

I just put a pipe wrench or adjustable on the the square top portion of the correct size tool that fits down inside the pipe fitting. I hammered it in so that a good portion was down into the pipe. This way I wouldn’t just twist off the top of the old corroded pipe. Put a liberal amount of penetrating oil on the bottom area where it goes into the waterpump. Then I just muscled on it a bit and it came right out. Didn’t crush the pipe didn’t even mar any of the threads. Easy peezy. I think for future use the money was well spent.

ToolmanMike Is teasing me by saying “I am afraid, so very afraid”, because I’m having some trouble with removing the crankcase bolt in another post. First time doing it. Trying to learn everything myself. The engine is all tore down just block with internals. The engine is still in my car all broken down. It’s up on jack stands in my little one car garage. I was asking the gang how to get the crankcase bolt out without an impact gun. I just have hand tools. They did help me understand how to do it.
Carl

ToolmanMike Is teasing me by saying “I am afraid, so very afraid”, because I’m having some trouble with removing the crankcase bolt in another post. First time doing it. Trying to learn everything myself. The engine is all tore down just block with internals. The engine is still in my car all broken down. It’s up on jack stands in my little one car garage. I was asking the gang how to get the crankcase bolt out without an impact gun. I just have hand tools. They did help me understand how to do it.
Carl
Yes I was just teasing but I am afraid/concerned when members are doing major work to something like a engine with no tools or "know how" but I was there once myself and I am a long way from being a expert. What I have learned is that I do have limitations. I know when it's time to make the phone call and write the check.

I totally understand. It’s not that I feel overwhelmed it’s just so frustrating when you do not have the resources like an impact wrench and I doing as much reading and asking as possible to learn. This website is amazing with all the knowledge on here and how helpful everyone is. Listen Mike no offense taken we all were beginners at some point.

Carl

-
Back