Best way to repair mounting bracket on 71 grille?

-

Cal_gecko

Citron Yella!!
Reaction score
one of the mounting brackets on the grill for my 71 Dart is broken off... I have the piece that broke off.. is there a commonly used glue/epoxy or process that's used to repair this type of plastic?

if it is a spot that is never seen, you can take a piece of tin and put 2 pop rivets on each end. or, if you are good with a heat iron, you can fuse the plastices back together, and even smotthen it out with some patience with the iron, to where you would never be able to tell

I read a few years back that if you have a spare grille, you can do the following:
Take a few chunks of spare grill sections and shave slivers of them into a cup. Pour in a little Acetone and using a popsicle stick, mix together into a paste. THIS will be your "jb weld". Smear it on the cracks, let it fully dry and harden, then install.

I've used plastic pipe glue before.

I read a few years back that if you have a spare grille, you can do the following:
Take a few chunks of spare grill sections and shave slivers of them into a cup. Pour in a little Acetone and using a popsicle stick, mix together into a paste. THIS will be your "jb weld". Smear it on the cracks, let it fully dry and harden, then install.

this is the best way, but it does take some time. if done correct will never brake in the same spot again. i recommend to practices on an extra piece first to get use to the process.
Recommend to do out side

this is the best way, but it does take some time. if done correct will never brake in the same spot again. i recommend to practices on an extra piece first to get use to the process.
Recommend to do out side

Not sure it's "the best way" since I'll be done in 5 mins. Modern products have come a long way as far as bonding agents

I have yet to test the Acetone & plastic paste method, but it sounds like it would be a decent way to go. You are in effect, putting compatible plastic back into the grille. Once the Acetone dries, it is as if the parts were welded back together.

Not sure it's "the best way" since I'll be done in 5 mins. Modern products have come a long way as far as bonding agents

i will totally agree with you on modern products are great and faster to fix it. but when you use the modern stuff you will to at least paint it. when you use acetone with the same color plastic, you do not have to paint.( if your good enough) you can make it look like factory, with no paint. and only paint the grille where paint is required.

I have been repairing plastic grilles for quite a while and this process is a great filler but not the best to bond it together.Go to the hardware store and pick up a product called plastic welder thats made by Devcon(comes in a two part style syringe)and costs about 5 bucks.
Doug

-
Back