Best way to transport a 64-66 Barracuda back glass

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
0E776389-D337-4837-8E12-918A0B4BC8C5.jpeg
C14D9FFE-3807-41A7-9CB6-E7354C606DE3.jpeg
i need a back glass to replace the one in my car. The previous owner tied a tarp with bungy cords over it and left it in the West Texas spring wind. It scratched the glass over a large area, to the point you can feel it with your finger nail. I have found a few glasses, but always 2-400 miles away. So I have to go get one, or two, but will be hauling it in the bed of a 2500 Ram truck. So what kind of rack or cradle would you use to get it safely home? I have seen the pvc pipe racks that glass trucks use, but I’m not sure standing it up would be my best option.
Any help or pictures would be appreciated.

I buffed out many, many (50 year's worth) scratches out of my daughter's '59 Studebaker Silver Hawk windshield using some of this stuff:

9Pcs*Glass Polishing Kit Scrach Remover 8OZ Cerium Oxide Powder 3'' Wheel Pad US | eBay

I was really happy with the results. You can buy it in the US but it's way more expensive. It takes about 4-5 weeks to get here from China but the darn stuff works!!
PS - 8oz is plenty to do both front and back glass and maybe some side glass. What do you have to lose???
Treblig

Last edited:
RAP IT IN BLANKETS AND HOLD IT ON WITH PACKING TAP, I DID THAT WITH TWO WINDSHIELDS I BOUGHT AND LAYED THEM IN THE BACK OF MY TRUCK IT WAS ONLY 85 MILES BUT THEY BOTH MADE IT SAFELY HOME NO PROBLEM

Eastwood also sells glass polish; never used it, but it is another source to consider; OR....go to lumber store buy some 2x4's make a rack that supports the glass in a curve up position (same orientation as in the car). The wood will dampen shock transfer to the glass. It's an idea.

I'd find an old mattress to lay in the bed of your truck and lay the glass on that.

If your truck has a topper on it....all the better!

View attachment 1715108167 View attachment 1715108168 i need a back glass to replace the one in my car. The previous owner tied a tarp with bungy cords over it and left it in the West Texas spring wind. It scratched the glass over a large area, to the point you can feel it with your finger nail. I have found a few glasses, but always 2-400 miles away. So I have to go get one, or two, but will be hauling it in the bed of a 2500 Ram truck. So what kind of rack or cradle would you use to get it safely home? I have seen the pvc pipe racks that glass trucks use, but I’m not sure standing it up would be my best option.

I'd go to the store and get a couple "pool noodles" . or pipe insulators. the edges are the weakest part of the glass and most prone to break it. . Slit the noodle on one side and slide it over the all the edges. duck tape the noodles to hold it on and lay it on a folded thick blanket "noodles" down to save the surface from scratching (I did put one on top too but just for a bit of protection from the straps rubbing) and strap it down just enough to hold it from sliding. I carried one front and rear from a "64 rust bucket cuda" that way for 1200 miles in the bed of a bouncy 3/4 ton d250 diesel pickup that's not the smoothest ride in the world unloaded or even lightly loaded. The edges of the rear backglass fit into the dips in the bed just like it was made to fit, front was a bit harder to position so I just taped the fully wrapped,noodled and covered front to the top side of the blanketed rear window curve side pointing down so I didn't make a " lifting wing" out of it.

View attachment 1715108167 View attachment 1715108168 i need a back glass to replace the one in my car. The previous owner tied a tarp with bungy cords over it and left it in the West Texas spring wind. It scratched the glass over a large area, to the point you can feel it with your finger nail. I have found a few glasses, but always 2-400 miles away. So I have to go get one, or two, but will be hauling it in the bed of a 2500 Ram truck. So what kind of rack or cradle would you use to get it safely home? I have seen the pvc pipe racks that glass trucks use, but I’m not sure standing it up would be my best option.
I don't know if I'm late to the party but I just hauled a 65 B-cuda back glass 250 miles and all week at work with it wrapped in a moving blanket in the backseat loading platform, in my 14 Dodge ram sport. Big side down and most of the back window blocked. Hope this helps.

-
Back