Best way to transport engine in pickup

-
That's the easiest.

Put it on a tire, up against the front of the bed and strap it in.

Tire works pretty well. Strap it down from the four corners, keeps it from pitching.

I don't know of simpler an better. There are probably better, but the used tire is about as simple as it gets. I have hauled several engines on an old tire and it has always worked well. I hauled one on a wooden stand that crate motors come on and kept having to tighten it down because of vibration. The screws holding it together started pulling out so I stopped in the middle of South Dakota and begged a service station for a junk tire, tipped the engine over onto the tire and tied it down. The engine stayed tight and in place the rest of the trip.

Thats as simple as its going to get. I've done the strap/tire thing more times then I can count.

Or take a tire and throw it in the back of your truck ,strap it down, stays put,get home , remove engine ,throw tire away, done deal.

I have always used a tire.
I hauled a 360 mag last year from erie pa to central wv.
Just put 4 straps on it a go.
A 15 inch truck tire like a 235/75/15 works real good.

Tire, lot of times we don't even strap them down, just remember to take it easy around corners.

Here's a radically different idea:

Use a tire! :D

Just hauled one last weekend with a tire and 4 tiedowns, about 120 trip, worked awesome!

all these guys are crazy!!!!! just use a Tire!:thumleft:

thats how they leave my buds machine shop. On a tire.

:poke::poke:I believe it's a law you have to use a tire.

dunno if it's a law, but I'm pretty sure I saw it recommended somewhere.

I can't beleave no ones suggested a tire by now. :dontknow:

Gotta be a 15

I go with these guys !!But whitewall or raised letters up for more traction !!!

Ok now I think I'll defy everyone and go the sixgun route.
Na, too much work.
Thanks for the p/ns. Much appreciated.
I've got lots to do before an engine install but I'm looking forward to the engine work, especially knowing I'll have direction from the guys here.

We foregot to mention the tire need not be balanced but for your own safety I would recommend it.

So what are you gonna use???

Thinking about this recipe:
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0804_small_block_mopar_engine/viewall.html

LA timing case and accessories. LA oil pan.
M1 intake w Speed Demon 750 (For the Demon Clone!)
Mopar performance electronic ign. (or 74 Dart Sport factory ign)
Edelbrock RPM heads (9:1).
Stock lifters/retainers.
Comp 1.6:1 roller rockers.
Comp Magnum push rods.
Hooker 1 3/4 headers.

Their dyno #s: 448 hp @ 5800. 435 lb ft @ 4900

I may try to adjust things for more low rpm power since this setup seems to need rpm to make power. I may be out to lunch with that idea.

I know there's a member who's done something like this with great success, can't recall who right now.

I plan to do the build myself. Crazy? Maybe.

Make sure you buy a flywheel for a 360 mag, not a 360 LA the balance is different.
McLoed sells the correct one for about $325.00 #MCL-464102-15A

I am doing almost the same build, but I went with KB 107's to bump the compression.
Machine shop say they will be done with balancing at the end of the week.

what ever you do dont use a tire!
they make terrible flywheels
good for moving engines though

Make sure you buy a flywheel for a 360 mag, not a 360 LA the balance is different.
McLoed sells the correct one for about $325.00 #MCL-464102-15A

I am doing almost the same build, but I went with KB 107's to bump the compression.
Machine shop say they will be done with balancing at the end of the week.

Ive seen that and at that price I plan to find one at a wrecker and resurface.
I'll look for your build thread.

I got a few of the Mopar pilot bearings that fit in the auto crank if you have trouble locating one.

I'll keep that in mind. In fact I might make a trip to Hawaii to pick it up! :blob:
Mahalo

I have used the lumber idea with one strap holding it on the lumber, two others securing the whole thing in the truck bed. When I got home, I unstrapped the two straps, lifted the engine with the lumber still strapped to it, and then set it down and it made a nice engine rack. Thinking about adding casters so that it can be scooted around the garage. But yes, the tire is easy, but I have dented an oil pan once that way.

Ive seen that and at that price I plan to find one at a wrecker and resurface.
I'll look for your build thread.

no good, no such thing, never going to find one at a junk yard, all magnum motors came in trucks and truck flywheels will not fit cars, the stock MAGNUM flywheel is 134 teeth, an A-body flywheel is 130 teeth (122 teeth on 1966 and earlier) so you will need to use a custom aftermarket flywheel, no way around it, and they aint cheep

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/trans.html

http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=FW102

Yes I see the issue now. So it would not be any help to me to have found one from a manual application (with Magnum flywheel).

Some have turned down a Magnum flywheel and pressed a 130 tooth ring gear onto it. Apparently the balance is preserved. Likely not cost effective.

The McLeod flywheel uses a bolt-on weight on a neutral balance flywheel. Some have suggested this could be bolted onto any neutral balanced flywheel (with the right measurements for placement of course). I have not found anyone who's done it however.

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/quest/internally.html

This shows the factory method for how a 318 flywheel is drilled to provide external balance for a '71 - '92 360. I suspect it would not be a big thing to add Mcleod's weight to any neutral balanced flywheel.

I'm going to start a new thread on this.

Allright, allright I cave....but you must promise to use a CLAM SHAPED tire...

-
Back