Better front bumper fit on a 73 Sport

-

Graminizer

The "Big G"
Reaction score
What have you guys done to make the front bumper fit closer to the body? I heard that by modifying 72 duster bumper brackets you can install the 72 Duster bumper, which makes for a much closer fit. Has anyone done this? Can you post some pics? Thanks guys.

Graeme:happy1:

I "think" you can eliminate the shocks, if it has them, from the bumper and it will bring it closer.

It seems as though I read that on here some time ago, I just haven't looked into it yet.

Why not just slot the holes in the brackets where it bolts to the frame?

I thought you could drill holes in the shocks to let the safety out, and compress and weld 'em?

I got a 70 bumper on my 74 scamp, just use the brackets, I haven't found one for the rear yet, so I took a large c clamp and compressed the bumper shocks in the rear to bring it in where it looked good, been that way for 15 years now.
p.s. I also have the 70 nose on the scamp as well.

If it doesn't have the shocks, I pulled out the re-enforcment plate & outer braces to tuck it closer & lost 20 pounds doing it.
The early Pro Stock guy used to take a fiberglass bumper to cut & section to get it closer to the body.

I'd also like to see a 72 Duster front bumper on a 73 Dart. I've been thinking about doing it and I'll probably try when my car gets back from the painter. Even when the 73 brackets are notched and pushed back, I feel like the 73 bumper is still big and bulky.

Why not try and retain some of the shape. I think a '73 Plymouth Duster/Valiant/Scamp bumper would work a bit better.

It still has some of the peak shape, but not nearly as much and would be a direct swap.

Why not try and retain some of the shape. I think a '73 Plymouth Duster/Valiant/Scamp bumper would work a bit better.

It still has some of the peak shape, but not nearly as much and would be a direct swap.

Isn't a 73 Scamp, Valiant, Duster bumper the same as a 73 Dart? They look so similar I've always thought they were the same.

Not quite. They share most of the same profile, but the peak is very different.

Plymouth
39354694004_medium.jpg

Dodge
1973_dodge_dart_swinger_5-568-426.jpg

-
Back